2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which GPS?

Which GPS? 9 years 2 weeks ago #34904

Hey guys,

So, now that I've got a little bit of cash, I'm thinking about purchasing a Garmin GPS soon for scouting ginseng and also for backpacking and hiking. I'm looking at the Garmin eTrex 20 and 30. I can't decide which I should get. The 30 has a 3-axis compass and wireless communication. Also, the eTrex 30 is pressure-based while the eTrex 20 is satellite-based. I'm really not sure which I would want. I am tight on money, but I think it may be a good investment. I have thought about using my iPhone 4S, but I think the battery life (although I do have a Goal Zero Nomad 7) and durability are just not good enough for my use. However, I think I may still bring my phone with me on these trips. Keep in mind, I will also be bringing my Yaesu VX6R HT which has capability for a barometer attachment. The accessory costs $48. So, by doing this and purchasing the eTrex 20, I'd be saving $20.

By the way, with dividend, I can get the eTrex 20 for $146.

Thanks

UPDATE: I went ahead and got the Garmin eTrex 20. Very excited, and it's gonna be help with a LOT of things.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Which GPS? 9 years 2 weeks ago #34928

VA..

I don't know any details on the models you are considering but I bought a Garmin GPSMap 60csx 3-4 years ago and I have been happy with it. I take it with me on hunts all the time and it has held up well. It is very accurate too. One year I scouted in June and marked the location of several nice 3 and 4 prongs.. and then when season opened most of those tops had been browsed and I still managed to find them with no tops.

I expect the newer models are more advanced and probably even more accurate now days.

Good Luck on your decision.

TNhunter

Re:Which GPS? 9 years 2 weeks ago #34929

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, with the discounts I currently have and the cash I've got, I definitely think I'm gonna jump on one. It is most likely going to be the eTrex 20 since it's affordable and I can get that chip for my radio for $48. I've also heard the barometer and other things on the higher end models like including the eTrex 30 drain the battery faster.

Re:Which GPS? 9 years 1 week ago #34967

I would strongly recommend getting the BirdsEye TOPO, U.S.map for it, that unit doesn't seem to come with any topo maps. It the same 24k topo maps that you see on various websites like mapper.acme.com

Re:Which GPS? 9 years 1 week ago #34970

Oh, nice. Thanks for that! I actually was able to download a maps file from GPSFileDepot. But, if I feel like I'm going to be going to different states a bit frequently, then I think that would be a great $30 investment.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

Who's Online

We have 477 guests and no members online

Login