2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Strange things in the woods

Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3595

Hello all. I have just finished watching a Monster Quest marathon on the History channel. The episodes were all specifically on bigfoot and bigfoot type creatures. In all my time in the woods (which is alot!) I have never really had any experience that I couldnt explain. I was just wondering if any of you out there have ever encountered a bigfoot or had any strange things happen in general.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3596

I live in Southern Indiana and I can tell you that I also spend a lot of time in the woods. Last year on the first day of ginseng season (September 1st) me and a friend of mine went to Perry County Indiana to hunt seng on some property owned by my uncle.
I actually considered posting this last year but I wondered if people wouldn't think I was crazy.
My friend and I had walked for about an hour back into the woods, so we were in a good ways. My friend yelled to me to come over and look at some tracks he'd found.
When I got over to him and looked down at the tracks in the mud I was shocked. There were three very distict footprints that were about 18 inches long and very wide. they were also very deep into the mud. And, they were fresh.
Now whatever made those tracks had to be very big. There's a part of your brain that says, well it must be a very large man to make those tracks, almost has to be a man, Right? But then of course you get to thinking about things like, who would be walking around that deep into the woods shortly after sunrise in their bare feet. And how many men have feet that are that large?
it was kind of funny, too, because I spent alot of time in Perry county as a kid and I remember people talking about seeing strange things. Even Bigfoot was seen in that area in the late 70's and early 80's. I told my friend on the drive down that people had said they had sighted bigfoot in the area we were goin to. All be damned if we didn't run right into those huge footprints.
I have also heard very loud piercing screams that seemed to be in the distance. I am familiar with the sounds of the woods and couldn't place the screams I've heard on about three differnt occasions. All of these were also in Indiana.
I personally think that there could be things out there that we don't know about. I am kind of devided on whether or not I'd ever want to run into what ever made those tracks. I'm sure it would be a disturbing experience.

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3598

jchrisfos its interesting that you say your from S. Indiana cause so am I. I live in Knox Co. and its mainly farm land so all the woods I hunt are quite small compared to the deep forests of Perry Co. However there were quite a few documented sighting as well as many unreported sightings back in the 80's here in Knox. Most of those were near the rivers (wabash and white) so out of curiosity were you near any water? I have always been fasinated with bigfoot and have reserched it alot and I belive its a real animal so I don't think your crazy at all thanks for the story

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3599

• jchrisfos
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bird Nerd, I am not familiar with Knox county but I do know your general area around the Wabash River. Spent some time up north of you at Indiana State in Terre Haute.
I actually live in Floyd County, but have extended family in Perry.
Perry County is actually bordered on the south by the Ohio river and is adjacent to Breckenridge and, I beilieve, Nelson County Kentucky.
Interesting point concerning MonsterQuest is that there was an episode entitled \"the hillbilly beast\" which focused on bigfoot sightings in Kentucky. The show dealt with an area that was close to the area we have here in question. If we go by \"as a crow flys\" this entire area is the same area, including Perry county. It is only seperated by political boundries.
I believe there is more than meets the eye concerning this creature. If you go to BFRO's site you will see that there have been many reported sightings in these areas. Those are just the repoted sightings, though. I am sure that many go unreported out of peoples fears of being
harassed. I know the people who have told me stories of their encounters would never dream of reporting them.
I personally believe that there is something \"other worldly\" about this animal. Not actually other worldly... very much a part of our world, just on another level of it.
In quantum physics there is a very scientifically based principle that kind of works off of what we percieve reality to be, it will be. We choose our reality by simply choosing or not choosing to perceive it through our five senses.
A good example of this is when Columbus came to the new world. The natives couldn't see his ships in the water, they could only see the ripples that the ships made in the water. I know you're probably saying, Huh? But, as it turns out, the natives didn't have the ships as part of their reality. It just wasn't wired into thier brains. So, one of the natives got curious and wondered what made the ripples. He stared at the ripples for a long time and finally a ship appeared before him. When he told the other natives about it, they too were able to finally see the ships. They were not percieving the reality of the ships. (you can check that story out on Youtube under a video entitled, \"What the bleep do we know.\")
I think we can pretty safely say that this can be applied to our bigfoot friend out there. I saw three very distict footprints perfectly formed from the ball of the heel to the five toes. What I saw was the same as the ripples that the natives saw in the water. I think it's possible that he could have been standing right in front of me and I could have not seen him. See, he's not wired into my brain as a reality. I've seen ripples, so now it may be possible that one day I'll be able to see the ship.
This is just a crazy way of saying that this creature is in and out of our reality. Do I believe that? Yes! And I'll tell you why:
I believe that, because the world we live in is a miracle. We often forget that. I'm out hunting ginseng and become so focused on the ginseng that I forget about the woods around me, I know it's there, but I sure don't see it. I don't take the time to be in awe of life and nature. I actually have to remind myself to see it and enjoy it. Just because I don't always see it doesn't mean that it isn't there.Does that make sense? I think the same thing applies to seeing things like sasquatch. maybe a little more on a spiritual level as opposed to just noticing the world around you, but on the same principle.
The bible says that there are those who have eyes but don't see, they have ears but do not hear. I think in some way we can apply it here, also.
There really is a miracle in nature. If you're interested you can look up the fibonacci sequence in nature. That's enough to blow your mind. By the way, the ginseng plant follows the sequence. But you can just walk out in the woods on any given day and see the miracle that was put here for us to enjoy.
Bigfoot, I believe is a real creature. I think the American Indians had it right to think that he is something that walks between worlds (which is the same world) and that he can't be seen in the same way as we see a deer or a racoon.
Maybe I went in a direction you wern't bargaining for but that's my take on it.

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3600

Interesting writings, here, and how the mind sees only what it thinks it sees. I used to live out in WY and I was driving down a mountain road about an hour before dusk. About 50 yards in front of me, a \"figure\" crossed the road at a high rate of speed, basically in one or two bounds it was gone down the mountainside. I said to myself, \"What the heck there aren't kangaroos here!\" Then, my senses caught up and I said, \"Huh, I just saw a mountain lion running all out down that hill!\"

Basically, I'm just saying you never know what you might see or what your mind will interpret what you are seeing. In a way, my little experience with the mountain lion was sort of like seeing the ripples, but not the ship. I did see something, but my mind twisted it as being a kangaroo, of all things in WY! :)

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3601

BTW, I did plant some ginseng seeds out there in WY where I lived and mulched them well. However, I moved that winter, so never got to see if any of them came up or not. Even if they did come up, they probably wouldn't have survived the dry summer without some care.

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3609

jchrisfos - thanks for sharing your story. I havent had an encounter, but I do think there is something out there. I'm a little ways NE of you in Decatur Co, but have several friends in Floyd, Harrison, and Perry Co.

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3611

Dave M, Hey I'm familiar with Decatur County. I had a few uncles that use to work in a saw mill up that way. That was way back in the day, though.
I think the bigfoot sightings are interesting. When Bird Nerd posted \"strange things in the woods\" I went on Youtube and watched a few MQ episodes and was surprised at how many times Indiana is a location for sightings. Not as much as Ohio, but it seems to be a hot bed of activity.
Who knows? But I think whatever it is that's out there is more intelligent than we give it credit for.

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3751

Wow Jchrisfos..........................................that show has just changed my life.........

I have always been somewhat of a follower of Taoist thinking, and their beleifs are based on the same principals that they are discovering now with quantum physics. I have never seen such a complete and well put together documentary in all my life.

Thanks for sharing........enlightenment from a ginseng forum....who woulda thunk it?!?!

Re:Strange things in the woods 13 years 10 months ago #3753

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I have spent alot of time in the woods here in Kentucky Bell & Harlan County,I love to hunt deer,turkey and my favorite time in the Mt: is Ginseng season.I have never yet ran into any tracks or seen anything that I didnt know after training myself with the help of some of my older friends coming up through the years.

I have herd some sounds that I do not reconise before but thats about the exstint of it for my personal exspearence.

I did enjoy reading the storys here and I do not think that it is impossable for such a being to live,I just wish that they would find one and make solid proof of it to see one for our selves of sutch creatures or beings e.t.c. would be great to me.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 133 guests and no members online

Login