2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 2015 season starts now!

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36357

Ya know what is funny Latt. I said, \" oh look at that\". I had the camera out and took a pic, but really did't think much of it at the time. Now that I got home and look at the pic.....I'm really intrigued.

I'm right near Whitehall, NY where they have had all these supposed sasquatch sightings. That must be it! ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36359

Maya, when you first posted that picture I sort of glanced at it and didn't think too much because I see the same thing around this area from time to time. I was always told that it is a host type plant similar to Mistletoe that can attach itself to another plant or tree and grow it's own new plant structure. It is usually a wild, limby type growth that becomes very thick after a few years and causes that nest type of appearance. That's just my take on it.

Hugh

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36361

If I get up there again I'll get better pics, but I think it was just maple branches, nothing else.

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36370

Whit,
I was thinking it may be what you said too.

However, when I zoomed in on the pic as much as possible, I thought it looked like maple leaves as well. Maya saying it appears to be maple leaves kind of rules out the \"host type plant\" theory. I have a host type plant growing in a tree on our property in town and it looks nothing like what Maya took a pic of. The host type plant growing in our yard in a hackberry tree is fairly large but is a huge cluster surrounding the tree trunk about 12 feet up.

All I know is it that it sure is interesting. Maybe there is a simple explanation as to what it is. I hope someone can present some additional info as to what it may be. Nature is a mysterious and amazing thing for sure at times.

Latt

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36373

Yup there are some amazing things out there Latt! I was thinking maybe there is a couple broken branches that are laying down on another branch or two. If they are not broken all the way through they would still be green, but then, what broke them like that??

Just got a text from my son. He is coming home Saturday to help me look for seng! He's got a good eye for it.

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36381

Looks like u got some pretty decent seng scouted out Maya....
Wishing you continued success

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36386

Thanks 5,hope you have a great season too!

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36402

What a great weekend! My son came home to help me scout, So much fun having him to go w/ me. We checked out a spot Saturday that I've been meaning to hit, but never got to it. Fun walk but only saw a dozen or so leftovers from a dig last year. That spot needs about 5 years. We went down the ridge, it looked good, but we came up empty. Scratch that one off the list!

Today we checked another spot where I dug some good ones a few years ago, but never got back to check around the corner.....Bam! Just the most textbook seng spot you could think of and I told Joe to get ready. Just then he yelled. \"got one\" A smallish sized 3 stemmer. A couple minutes later I found this brute with a few nice smaller 3 and two stemmers around it. Not a lot of berries on it, but with all the smaller ones around it, I'm sure it's older. This area needs a good day or two of work when season comes around. There is beautiful sign as you look down the ridge, and above it looks dynamite! Great day.........and only about 75 degrees!
Attachments:

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36403

Some more close by....
Attachments:

Re:2015 season starts now! 8 years 8 months ago #36404

You sound a little excited there brother. Those beautiful plants will cause that.
I felt the same way yesterday while I was out looking over some 4 year olds and finding lots of ripe berries. I hope there are some 30 year old roots in a few of those you have pictured. Keep looking and good luck on the hunt.

Hugh

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 524 guests and no members online

Login