2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: early start ?

early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36640

I remember last year here the forum there was a state that had already opened sang season, has that changed this year ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36643

The US Fish & Wildlife Service has pretty much twisted the arms of the individual states and told them if they want to continue to export wild (and wild simulated) ginseng they must comply with the regulations the USFWS \"requests\" ...which is September 1.

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36649

We were always August 20 start here in Vermont. It's now Sept 1, along with a 10 year old minimum on root. Short season for us now.

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36650

maya wrote:

We were always August 20 start here in Vermont. It's now Sept 1, along with a 10 year old minimum on root. Short season for us now.

ah, August 20th,including last year....yeah a short season. Has it been dry up that way the last couple of months like here in western Pa ? It might be even a shorter season with plants in the dying process a bit more then they should be....

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36661

We had a dry spell a few weeks ago but have gotten good rain since. Our leaves start falling off trees much earlier than most other seng states, making it tough to spot seng. That's why I said short season. Hope you get some rains Western.

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36662

being that it's been bone dry here, i think there's no doubt going to effect harvest here.

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36730

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36731

It has been very dry here in New York the past few weeks:( . Have seen some yellowed and laying on the ground

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36732

It has been very dry here in New York the past few weeks:( . Have seen some yellowed and laying on the ground

Re:early start ? 8 years 7 months ago #36735

westernPaBilly wrote:

being that it's been bone dry here, i think there's no doubt going to effect harvest here.

Very dry across the border here in Ohio too. Most of the berries of the wild seng has turned red and/or dropped (and gotten planted by me) and a lot of them are turning yellow already. I'm not digging this year but still trying to protect the plants on my woods by planting berries and topping plants if all the berries have ripened, so as to hide from would-be poachers. Last year where I dug on a nearby farmer's woods, I was seeing seng with berries well into the first month of season and I didn't get started digging until a week into season. This year it looks like they will be gone or nearly all gone by the first of season.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Who's Online

We have 163 guests and no members online

Login