2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40680

I did another seng hunt yesterday and did OK...

Found a lot of seng that was down and nearly out (like the two below)... and lots of others that looked worse than those two. Found some that just had a stem and a berry pod, and the prongs were gone and could not even be found (not eaten) just fell off and rotted already.

The last couple weeks here it has turned off hot again and dry... and that is sure making it hard on the seng.

TNHunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40681

This place I hunted has a long and very steep and rocky (partial bluff) that faces north, north east.. This makes the 3rd time I have hunted this place in the past 10 years... and it always produces. it is just a great place for seng.

Very steep and hard walking (more like climbing like a mountain goat)...

Here is a pic that shows part of how that affects the seng...

This decent 3 pronger was partially covered with dirt and leaves and rocks that had washed down that steep hillside but you can see the root and stem up the hill from it and the root neck and part of the root exposed.
Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40682

This was the Best 4 pronger I found on this hunt. A nice tall one and it was growing right on the creek bank and still nice and green.

Had a good root on it too, which I will show in the best roots photo in the last post of this hunt.

Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40683

Here is the collection of roots harvested...

Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40684

And here is a pic of I would say the best 4 roots in the bunch.

One based on size... (that BIG root is from that 4 pronger)... and the other 3 nice ones are simply based on age - long neckers...

TNHunter

Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40688

Those are beauties! I can't tell much difference in our Seng here and what you have there. I used to buy Seng out of Monticello Ky and the roots from there were more long and stringy. Didn't have near the bulb in it as I have here or what you have. Kinda strange. Lol

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40695

good looking stuff .congrats...

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 5 months ago #40834

Well my roots are drying nicely on the window screens as usual. Looking good, nice golden color to them.

Just waiting for the price peak to sell... last word I got about a week ago was 500.00 lb from one of my local dealers. I am going to check back around thanksgiving and see if it has gone up any. Will also keep checking here for price news.

I am still getting out and catching a few bass out of the river and creek. Below a couple of pretty ones I caught and we ate last weekend.

TNHunter

Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 5 months ago #40835

Last Saturday this is what my seed producing bed looked like.

Only a few still standing with the majority down and out for the year.

Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 5 months ago #40836

I did find 3 nice red berries... the last ones of the year and got those planted.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.618 seconds

Who's Online

We have 410 guests and no members online

Login