2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dry Weather

Dry Weather 13 years 8 months ago #4364

Hello everyone. I have been reading the forum for a while now, but finally got around to registering. I'm starting to get concerned about the dry spell my area is in. It's super hot and dry out right now, and there's no significant rain forecasted for the next 10 days. If the conditions stay like this, I'm worried about the seng drying up before I can get to in. I live in Indiana, and our season doesn't open until September 1. This may casue prices to go high, but that won't do me much good if my patches are all burned up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Dry Weather 13 years 8 months ago #4372

i've i scouted now for the past 3 days now in 90+ heat.. with heat indx in the lower 100's now with Day 51 for temps in the 90's.. here in TN and i can tell you that i have not seen any seng bruned up yet but have seen were most of the berrys are gone.. never truned red that's the seng mid way up the hill now in to bottoms u can see find some with berrys but have not seen any yellowing of the seng but with the high temps for so long it's prob already gone...

Re:Dry Weather 13 years 8 months ago #4373

It has been extremely hot here in cetral KY, too, but at least we have been wet. You are right, RedDog, come Sept. 1, your 'seng might be \"gone\" already. At least it will come back next year.

Good luck!

Re:Dry Weather 13 years 8 months ago #4384

JACQUO-- I'm curios as to what part of IN you are from? I am in SW. Indiana along the Wabash. I have been doing alot of scouting whenever the temps,humidity and, Dew Points fall alittle. From what I've seen in my area the seng looks good I havnt saw any burned or yellow but thats not to say it won't happen. I'm not really for sure bout the difference in rain fall between you and I, but I think the high humidity and dew points would probably help some.

Re:Dry Weather 13 years 8 months ago #4387

Bird,

I live in South Central Indiana. I hunt in Lawrence, Monroe, and Green Counties mainly. I have seen just a handful of plants starting to turn yellow, but my concern is what is this heat going to do two or three weeks from now. The berries on plants seem to be very fragile right now. When I was out scouting, I moved a plant to get a better look at it, and most of the berries just fell to the ground. I'm being very cautious right now.

Re:Dry Weather 13 years 8 months ago #4389

JACQUO-- I'm jelous your right in some of the best wooded areas in the state! I'm familiar with parts of Greene as I've spent lots of time at Goose Pond FWA hints the name Bird Nerd. I'm ruffly 75-80 miles SW of blomington and I've not encountered any of what your decribing all the plants I have saw while scouting have been healthy and green the berries are still green but I havnt noticed the falling of easily in fact I havnt seen any fall off just from me moving them around with my walking stick. Cant say weather its been any hotter that way than here but its been UNGODLY hot,humid and, dew points in the high 70's to 80's so even with those extremes I havnt noticed any effect towards the seng but I will keep a close eye on it. Please keep me informed with any changes up in your neck of the woods it would be greatly appreciated thanks

Re:Dry Weather 13 years 8 months ago #4391

Hot, but we've had enough rain this summer in Vermont. 46 degrees when I got up this morning! Great day for football and sengin.

I used to coach football and one of my best players ever is in a Vt vs NH all star game today. Can't wait to see him play. Gotta drive across the state to the game, you better bet that I'm going to be lookin for a nice escarpement that might be holding some seng!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 117 guests and no members online

Login