2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pictures Of Berrys Turning

Re:Pictures Of Berrys Turning 13 years 8 months ago #4437

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Jin,

No permit is required to harvest wild ginseng on private land in the state of Kentucky
The harvest season for wild ginseng in Kentucky is from August 15 to December 1

Kentucky state law requires all harvested ginseng plants to be at least 5 years old and to have at least 3 prongs.The Kentucky Department of Agriculture, serves as the state?s ginseng coordinator (502) 564-0290 These people can better answer some questions you may have concerning permits etc.

Read this information,
www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Wild-Ginseng...esting-Practice.html

You do have to purchase a permit for the National Forest Lands prior to digging they will provide you with area site maps and cordnation.

Hope that helps a little with your idea of how to begin your hunting.Now about the other stuff.

Snakes - The best way to protect yourself from getting bit by a snake is to purchase a pair of snake leggings or snake boots.I prefer boots but look into both to see what you prefer before you purchase one of them.You can most likely go to a bass pro shop,or simalar stores to look at and purchase these,or just google them and many links will appear.

Bear - It is illegal to kill a black bear in the State of Ky so the best way to avoid them is do not go ginsenging,seriously,but if you are like me and must go any way no matter if you see a bear or not just remain calm and watch him/her closely of all the ones I have seen none of them have been aggresive towards me and most of the time they avoid you,but one could be aggresive tomorrow and I can not tell you what to do in that situwation,except this !! be prepared !! in whatever way you think you should.

Mountian Lion - The same as the Bear

Poison Ivy - Google Image poison ivy,,,poison oak and study closely what the leafs/vines look like and avoid them.If you by accident get in it you can purchase medicine over the counter at drug stores to help with the itching subscribed medicine is better.

If you want to learn another plant then Google Jewel weed images once you find it use the juice and apply it directly to the affected area.It works the best of all In my opinion.
Remember where you see poision ivy,if you get it your chances of finding Jewl weed is good around or near the poison ivy,oak.

Most public land you can hunt without a permit during the season,but never enter any posted or private owned land without talking to the owner.You will just have to ask people that you may see near posted or private land who the owner is and then proceed to get permission,some may let you,and some will not.It is a process and requires time.

The best place in my experience to begin hunting wild seng is to find Northern facing slopes and check them 1st for evidence and seng in that area,,( a good compass helps )if the ginseng is there then you may find it in other areas of the Mountian.If not I would move on to another area and repeat untill I found seng in a northern slope of a Mountian.Again in my experience if wild seng is not growing on the Northern part of the mountian then it most likely isent growing in closely related areas of that Mountian.Use that as a greneral rule of thumb,but never go by a realy good looking area without checking it,I have been plesently suprised on all 3 other different facing slopes
(south,east,west)but hardly ever if it is not on the Northern slops.

Now Jin I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a good area and dig sevral pounds of seng,and God bless you and your`s as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Pictures Of Berrys Turning 13 years 8 months ago #4439

Thank you very very much. Billy.

i got check the Cumberland Ranger District.
but, they said...
-Ginseng harvest is permitted for one-month duration, from September 15 to October 15.
-Only one $20.00 permit will be issued per person per year, allowing collection up to one pound of non-dried ginseng root.

...Only 1 pound.

Do you have better idea?
Is there any Landlord sell the permit?

You said \" Most public land you can hunt without a permit during the season.\"
What is the public land? (i am sorry, I am really beginner.)
you mean any mountains?(except posted or private owned land)

Thank you for help

God bless you.

Re:Pictures Of Berrys Turning 13 years 8 months ago #4440

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Jin 1st 20 dollors for collection of 1 pound of wild seng is a very good deal,sometimes I spend more than that on travels and exspence to find seng.So if you can get that permit for 20 dollors and you find seng its a good deal.

Public land is land that is free to hunt deer,ginseng etc to any one.It will not be posted with any forestry signs,park signs,or private property signs.

Re:Pictures Of Berrys Turning 13 years 8 months ago #4441

Thank you for fast reply.^^

I thought one person can get a 1 LB until this year.

Do you hunt ginseng in Public land?

Thank you.

Re:Pictures Of Berrys Turning 13 years 8 months ago #4445

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Jin I do hunt public land often.

Your Welcome.

Re:Pictures Of Berrys Turning 13 years 8 months ago #4455

Thanks for reply^^

I called to distrct office in TN.
Officer said \"you don't need permit Ginseng season execpt private and national forest\"

Is that right same as KY and The other states on public land? ^^

I was really anxious about the permit.

Thanks again.

God bless you.

Re:Pictures Of Berrys Turning 13 years 8 months ago #4457

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Jin thats right.