2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: A few photos.

A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4444

Well I haven't been coming on here much. But I have been out catching turtles, fish, picking berries, mushrooms, and getting ready for the upcoming hunting seasons, and digging season.
I was invited to check out a woods a couple of weeks ago. I found alot of mushrooms as well as Ginseng. I figured I would share a few pics with you guys. So here they are......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4446

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Shroomy

Thanks for sharing the photos that looks like a decent area to hunt + some good mushrooms can`t beat that.

I ment to thank you for offering to help me learn more about the different mushrooms and im still looking forward to picking up some on that.

I didnt get to go out and take photos to show you as I wanted to because my work flooded for 2 mounths I didnt have time to breath seemed like.

Thank the Lord it is slowing down now just a little,hopefuly enough to dig some root because seng season is just 5 days away for me now :o) Im taking open day off regardless.

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4463

Billy you're welcome. No problem on getting back with me, I understand things come up and need addressed. I am still willing to help you out with the mushrooms. Just contact me via my email.
Good luck witht he digging! I may have to head your way to get a quick fix myself.
I checked an area out yesterday and found quite a bit of \"Sang\". Here are a few photos that I uploaded. I have, many, many more. =)

Those patches were just a few I found, and so large I couldn't get them in a single photo. I was really impressed with these woods and have to say they are by far the best NEW woods I have found in years. Look closely in the photos and you will see multiple plants, many with red berries. Although there are still plenty of berries that have yet ripened and from the looks of things are already dropping berries. I didn't get to REALLY look over the area, and even bypassed many washes as I figured there would surely be some growing in these. I am HOPING i can come out of these woods with some BIG roots. So what ya think. Nice woods to dig? =)

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4468

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Shroomy I looked over these photos again and from my exsperience of planting wild seed back over the years and seeing them grow in the same hollers I am going to say that it does not seem that any one has harvested in that place for around 5 to 8 years because I see alot of plants that are from 5 to 8 years old.Young 4 prongs maybe 2nd and 3rd year,also alot of 3`s around 4 to 6 years old.

One way I can conclude this is something I learned through the years and that is this a 1st year 4 prong of wild seng comes out with 1 fork that will have 3 leafs on it instead of 5 everytime.I have never seen a new 4 prong have 4 forks with 5 leafs on each steam,and although I have not had no exsperience with cultivated seed (stratified seed) I have had alot with wild seed untill this season I have only worked with wild seed.I have around 10 hollers that I replant with the berries every year.I have some marked spots that I watch the seng grow each year and that is how I know young 4 prongs.

All that being said I believe that you can pull a prety good harvest from that area,especialy if the other drains etc are as plentyful as the areas you have shown me in these pictures.There is one thing that I am wondering about and that is where is Grandpa & Mamaw :) the old timers from this area,unless some one has been harvesting their around 9 years ago and further back,then their is 100 percent forshore some old seng their big 3`s and 4`s the kind that make you smile very big,and make your heart happy :) yea you know what im talking about.

If you find them to go with these others,then it want be a prety good dig,It will be awsome harvest,so look good as I know you will cause either they where dug,are they are still there the old timers,Pap used to call them the homesteaders.

G/L Shroomy.

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4483

Thanks Billy. I really hope I do find some HUGE plants. The two-prong above is the largest two-prong I have ever seen. So if that's in there. Who knows.

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4496

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
It is indeed a big 2 and will have more of an old 3 prong root or a 4 prong size root.I have seen 2,,,,,,,two prongs of that size and they are the only 2 I wanted to look at and they where both over 1/2 oz roots and they both had old neck scares.

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4499

nice pictures shroomy looks like you found a really great place to sang

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4556

Good looking seng. Thanks for sharing Shroomy! Makes me want to get out to a new woods. I've checked out a couple of areas this summer. One was pretty much a bust, but the other area had some decent seng, but didn't look as good as what you've posted here.

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4573

Nice pics Shroomy! Good luck diggin your new spot.

Re:A few photos. 13 years 7 months ago #4576

Thanks.
Good luck to you guys, have a fantastic, and safe season!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 619 guests and no members online

Login