2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: CAUTION!!!

CAUTION!!! 13 years 7 months ago #4472

If anybody is as crazy as I might be and decides to try and get out in the woods for some scouting please think long and hard about it beforehand and be like a boyscout and \"BE PREPARED\". This heat is no joke it will kill!! if you don't know what your doin and even if ya do. Drink plenty of water and go slow. Try and not spend too much time in it. In reality no one should be out in this heat at all!! Thanks and be careful

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:CAUTION!!! 13 years 7 months ago #4478

That's for sure Birdnerd. We were just talking about that today. I haven't gone out at all this month. It's just unreal how hot and humid it is here in Indiana. Ten minutes is about all I can bear and I'm in pretty good shape.

Re:CAUTION!!! 13 years 7 months ago #4480

i absolutly agree with ya on that, i have been out in the woods for the last 4 days about 4 hours each and it has been almost unbearable, the air feels very heavy and it is so humid that you are drenched in no time at all, a couple of times i stood up and almost passed out. I was stupid and didnt take any water with me. dont just take water with you,,,take extra water. with heat indexes nearing 110 it wont take long for it to get you.

Re:CAUTION!!! 13 years 7 months ago #4484

Yup, I have been out in it too. Got light headed a couple of times. Just figured I was getting older, lol.

Re:CAUTION!!! 13 years 7 months ago #4491

I lucked out yesterday when an afternoon thunderstorm sprang up outta nowhere. The tornado sirens started going off so I grabbed my gear and quickly hit the road as the funnel cloud was spotted near the downtown area of the small town I live in. I only did this knowing that the storm was isolated and would quickly move outta the area leaving temperature slightly cooler. My gamble payed off and the storm dissapated. I was able to check an area I have been curious about and found some nice patches of mature plants. The only downside was that I stirred up a yellow jacket nest an got attacked and stung 6 times. in all my 30 years of being in this world the only othertime I've ever been stung by anything was when I was 7 years old and stepped on a honey bee. I got alittle nervous cause Idid'nt knowif Iwas allergic or not. Luckly I was ok but man if I had been allergic I'd have been in real trouble being out in some hilly deep woods. Even if I had called for help nobody could have gotten to me in time. Just goes to show ya that sometimes we take our safety for granted and anything might happen while out in the woods whether it be weather, wildlife, or bodely injury. Always try and be prepared. And yes I was a boyscout.

Re:CAUTION!!! 13 years 7 months ago #4493

I,ve been working past few days moving cows and take some to the sell..& it's been hot Last few weeks When working i got a bad headache right befor we quit but it stayed with me for about 2 hrs after i got out of the heat... but i was out there all day from 9 am to about 7 pm.. Had no shaded.. As much as i put into myself it was coming out i couldn't keep up with what i was sweating So Look out u guys... I'm not going out on sunday (bad thing always happen to me if i go on Sunday) Monday I'm gone.....

Re:CAUTION!!! 13 years 7 months ago #4501

Geesh you sound like a bunch of old women. When I hit the woods I'm so focused on what I am doing that I barely notice anything going on around me. All of my fears like bees nests(btw I got lucky and got outta one quik last week(biggest fear in the woods) snakes, chiggers, unforewarned bad weather esp. high winds in the woods gets the heart pumping sometimes. All these things I think about and fear until I'm in, then it's hunt hunt hunt, but I'll have to admit I've been digging seal in this heat and it's killin me :) watcha gonna do the kids need pencils and notebooks :) But I'll join the old whiney womens club too. This heat almost makes ya wanna cry. Not to mention my third bout this year with chiggers is at its itching peak. Almost makes me wanna go put an application in somewhere. ALMOST!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 507 guests and no members online

Login