2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ginseng Season Open In Kentucky 2010

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4876

Hey billy me and terry went back to the honey hole yesterday and we struck gold again. We were digging all day long. We ended up with probably over three pounds. And we still haven't started to put a dent in this place. We are going to wait untill some of the weeds to die down in this place because alot of the seng we fount were under stang needles. the seng can really hide in them hollers. We are going to hit some of our other honey holes. Well anyways some of the highlights of our trip were many big ol four prongers and terry digging one that weighed over four onces and believe it or not Billy i fount two huge five prongs within two feet of one another. I filmed a little bit of the five prongs so when i figure out how to put the videos on i will. We are working on video quality so just give us a little time me and terry both r camera shy. We just filmed them in the ground and after we dug them but i still believe everyone would enjoy seeing such a find, because them five prongs dont happen everyday. Give me a couple of days and we will get the pics on first.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4877

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
This was a decent 4 prong that I found,something odd was that something had eat leafs off of it,now that doesent seem that odd untill you hear this,the deer or whatever it was that eat the leafs,,picked one leaf off of each prong and left 4 of each 5 leafs on the seng if you look close you can see that,,LoL now you might not notice something like that but I thought it was sorta neat that we have a PiCkEy LeAf eAtInG dEeR///AnImAl on our Mountian
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4878

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
hillbilly wrote:

Hey billy me and terry went back to the honey hole yesterday and we struck gold again. We were digging all day long. We ended up with probably over three pounds. And we still haven't started to put a dent in this place. We are going to wait untill some of the weeds to die down in this place because alot of the seng we fount were under stang needles. the seng can really hide in them hollers. We are going to hit some of our other honey holes. Well anyways some of the highlights of our trip were many big ol four prongers and terry digging one that weighed over four onces and believe it or not Billy i fount two huge five prongs within two feet of one another. I filmed a little bit of the five prongs so when i figure out how to put the videos on i will. We are working on video quality so just give us a little time me and terry both r camera shy. We just filmed them in the ground and after we dug them but i still believe everyone would enjoy seeing such a find, because them five prongs dont happen everyday. Give me a couple of days and we will get the pics on first.

HillBilly man that is awsome what some great times and very very good finds I am looking forward to seeing the 5 prongs that is a rareity in its self,but the chances of finding 2 that close together is unreal

!! WOW !!

I cant wait to see them,again congrats on some very good fortune.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4879

man u guys are killing me,ive dug from letcher,bell,all over harlen,straight creek and ive never got a 5 prong,that has eluded me so far,but im still hunting for one,ive dug some big roots but i sure wood like to find one.congrats to every body that has found one,never know tomorrow is saturday no work,so it might be the day.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4881

Sounds like you KY guys are off to a great start. Congrats to all!! I have to sit out four more days, but then I'm getting into the fun!!! I've got the itch so bad I cant hardly stand it. I'm not digging in any of The places that I've ever dug before and really am just hoping to find a few decent patches this year. I have permission to check out 6 different properties. 5 of the six have less than 100 acres. The other property has about 600 acres, but probably only about 400 that are wooded. I already scouted another area that turned out to be a total bust, but thats the way it goes. The real thrill of senging to me is the discovery of a new (old) patch like hillbilly has found. If I can find one area half as good as that this fall I'm telling you I will be thrilled. I'm planning on taking my camera on every trip and will keep you all posted.
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4882

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
tnkysenger wrote:

man u guys are killing me,ive dug from letcher,bell,all over harlen,straight creek and ive never got a 5 prong,that has eluded me so far,but im still hunting for one,ive dug some big roots but i sure wood like to find one.congrats to every body that has found one,never know tomorrow is saturday no work,so it might be the day.

tnky

I have only found 1 five prong in my life e they are sure alusive.G/L to you in your search for one.I sure would like to find another 1.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4883

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
5prong wrote:

Sounds like you KY guys are off to a great start. Congrats to all!! I have to sit out four more days, but then I'm getting into the fun!!! I've got the itch so bad I cant hardly stand it. I'm not digging in any of The places that I've ever dug before and really am just hoping to find a few decent patches this year. I have permission to check out 6 different properties. 5 of the six have less than 100 acres. The other property has about 600 acres, but probably only about 400 that are wooded. I already scouted another area that turned out to be a total bust, but thats the way it goes. The real thrill of senging to me is the discovery of a new (old) patch like hillbilly has found. If I can find one area half as good as that this fall I'm telling you I will be thrilled. I'm planning on taking my camera on every trip and will keep you all posted.

G/L 5 you will find some seng im sure.I will be waiting to see those nice 4`s in a few photos.Ole hillbilly & terry have hit a great spot.I have only found a couple spots that good without helping out over the years myself with stewardship,they are far and few inbetween,but they are out their.I am going to check one out soon as I can also actualy 2 new spots,and im hopeful.G/L to you 5.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4884

5:25 AM - Saturday Morning (YEAH !)

Up and fixing breakfast. Wife cooked up some chicken strips for supper last night and we had a few left over so I baked up a few biscuits and warmed up those chicken strips so I had a couple of those + another with some homdmade strawberry jam for breakfast.

That + a few cups of coffee and then checking out all these nice pic's of big old sang and WOW I am cranked up and ready to go sanging this morning.

Partner should be here a little after 6 AM and we have a nice new big deep hollow to go to this morning - new place - never been there before but did hunt another hollow close to this one last year and had some good luck.

I have my topo map printed out and all those north/east facing hillsides marked, 2 ltr of water, beenie/weenie, a few cookies, bug spray, my old trusty sang digger, camera, etc..

The weather has turned off much nicer, cool mornings, starting to feel like fall. Nice !

Ahhhh - don't get much better than this.

Good Luck to all you going sanging today !

Keep those pictures comming. I love to see that big old sang you mountain folks are digging.

TNhunter

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4899

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Tnhunter thanks man and im just like you I love to see the photos and hear the storys let us know how you done today man.

Guys I took my sons and my soninlaw into the woods today in an area that I have used stewardship to help teach Caleb,easy walking which is a rareity for us LoL ,,,no kidding,,but it was fun and we had a great day.Here is a couple pictures and their is a video up under the new topic of Caleb.This was a nice 4 prong it had 5,6,7,& 8 leafs on the 4 prongs I like to find those the root was nice as well.
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4900

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
j
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds