2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Hunt 2010 TNhunter

First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4619

Hey Guys...

First hunt of the year went to a new spot I have not dug before. I knew going in that it was a bit iffy (on the high side elevation wise).

Started off nice, found several decent plants and many right along a county blacktop road (several nice big 3 prongers you could see from the road).

We got started at 6:30 am but after a couple hours of decent digging we ran out of it. The land we could hunt on started out around 690' elevation wise and went up from there. We could not hunt down the hollow (no permission that direction).

Ended up being one of those trips where you do a lot more walking than you do digging (I prefer it the other way around) :-)

We did not find any 4 prongers, but did find a few nice 3's and several 3's that were just big enough to harvest. Found a mix of red and green berries and left several plants behind to hunt another day.

I took my wife's little digi cam but she could not remember where she put the usb interface cable so I can't offload the pics right now. Think I will pick up a SD to USB adapter this evening so I can get the Pic's off and post them. Only took a couple of nicer 3 prongs and the pile of roots at the end.

Ended up with 16.16 oz (just a bit over 1 lb) green.

Something I have started doing that I wanted to share.

From that digital topo maps site I printed a topo map of the site we hunted and marked where we found ginseng with HI-Liter pen and marked the places we looked but found none with a big X.

I also wrote in the year we hunted 2010 and will file this away to keep for future reference.

In 3 years or so will re-visit that site and it will be nice to have this kind of information when going back. That spot would make a decent evening hunt or some time when we have just a couple hours to dig.

Best of Luck to you all this season !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4620

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Tnhunter congrats on a good start and I like the map idea good thinking.I do something simalar to that to keep track of the areas I hunt.Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4624

TN sounds like you did well. A pound wet is way better than I did while in KY.. Congratulations on a good day of digging!
What is the name of the website you are getting your topos from?

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4628

Shroomy,

I did a post on that a week or two ago showing some map sites I use.

Below is the url to the digital topo maps site.

www.digital-topo-maps.com/

It has a very easy user interface. You can just click on to drill down into your State and location, then can switch between map, topo, hybrid views.

It is the older USGS type topo maps but still very useful.

The satellite images shown in the hybrid view are not real recent. We hunted a place last year and ran into a big clear cut area that did not show up on the map. Those images are at least a few years old because that clear cut had obviously been there for a couple years.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4631

Found a SD card to USB adapter thing at Walmart for 8.00.

Here is a few pics from the hunt.
Attachments:

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4632

Attachments:

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4633

Attachments:

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4634

This was one of the best ones we found on this trip.

Man those red berries really set the plant off and make it look special.

Perhaps a thing of bueaty that only a seng hunter can really appreciate :-)

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4637

Congrats on a good hunt and nice pics! One pound is pretty good day for me. I've only found a few areas in my neck of the wood that have produced much more than that. I'm pretty selective in what I dig and don't usually stay out for more than three or four hours though.

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 8 months ago #4639

Hunter that picture has alot of young ones growin in a row, sure it's not a growers patch.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 365 guests and no members online

Login