2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Indicator plants

Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4713

Do you have any plants that when you see them in the woods, you think sangs nearby? Around here baneberry or dolleyes always seems to grow in the same places as ginseng.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4724

I'd add, around here almost always maiden hair ferns, jack in the pulpet & nettles. One thing we really key on here are good stands of old maple trees.

Re:Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4730

I think Maidenhair Fern is probably the best of all.

It only grows where calcium content in the soil is high and that is also a requirement of healthy ginseng.

I have seen hillsides full of other companion plants but no ginseng, but when you find other companion plants + maidenhair fern there is almost always ginseng nearby.

TNhunter

Re:Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4731

When I find maidenhair fern, black cohosh, and solomon's seal growing in close proximity I can almost guaruntee ginseng will be close by. I also like goldenseal and bloodroot and jack-in-the-pulpit.

Re:Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4733

Generally, I look for , Stinging weeds, coash, and ferns, but my biggest thing is the timber. If I come to a holler with soft wood timber, (ie. poplar and maple) + coash and ferns, sang is guaranteed.

Re:Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4756

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
My favorite place of all to look into is a north facing slope/holler/ridge where their are large Maple trees and or alot of maples.

My 2nd favorite spot to look is in an area that has alot of vines droping down with maidenhair fern and/or solomon's seal and most of the time the soil will be blacker in color when you find them vines and the fern together,very,very good soil.

I find it where their is Black coash,blood root,golden seal,stone root and even though these dont seem to be as sure as those above I still like to see them often in a mountian especialy if their is not much Maple,or madienhair fern around the area.

But if you ever find a northern side of a mountian with alot of old maples around that has not been found by someone or dug by someone in a good while.Just get ready to thank the good Lord for what you are about to exsperience :o) then post the pictures and I`ll be happy for you to :)

Re:Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4761

I agree with Billy, always look for the North facing slope. Its amazing how the ground cover changes when that hill starts to bend around and face north. Next biggest thing I look for is any type of cohosh, especially black (we call it rattleweed). Just found a bunch around some cohosh and ferns. Jack in the pulpits are good indicators to but sometimes as hard to find around here as seng. I always look for fallen timber where some sun is getting in- always seem to grow bigger there.

Re:Indicator plants 13 years 7 months ago #4767

I agree with billy trees and the facing of the slope is the main key. If u find a north facing with poplars and maples they will be seng and all of the other companion plants and especially if like Billy said if no one has been there get ready for a good time. U don't find them that often.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 357 guests and no members online

Login