2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: seven to nine years

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5556

I did a google search and found that article again where the emperors root was mentioned. It was on one of the Glacial sites (url below).

www.ginseng-seed.com/PlantingByHand.htm

Below is the text I remembered reading...

TNhunter

What the market is really looking for, other than very high ginsitis levels, is appearance. This is where the ginseng roots have split and formed what we call \"figurines\" in the business. Anything that looks like the lower anatomy of a human is a prime ginseng root.
When you run across the extremely rare plant which they call the emperors root that is shaped like a human body, where the arms are pronounced, the legs are pronounced and the male sexual organ is pronounced, that is an emperor ginseng root. Those single individual ginseng roots can bring as much as $ 10,000 (US).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5557

Know a man that became wealthy growing tame when $50 pound was payment, good when you had 1000 pounds per acre. He took a trip to China to see what the auctions were like. $1000 for a big wild root was seen often.

There are a few middlemen involved in selling, that is hard to get around considering distance, language, government intervention.

I heard once a co-op was starting, any info.

Maya, too bad you got a female plant. If you go back, maybe the mate is there.

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5559

The apendage is there, it's just coming out of his stomach! LOL
How about the market for just a man root? Is there a market for them or should they just be sold with regular roots?

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5560

This one is missing an arm but has the male appendage? A fat guy!
Attachments:

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5561

How bout this one, a few extra arms, but a nice long.......!
Attachments:

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5566

If I had a good \"man-root\" I would hold out. About ten years ago I took a large root along with other roots to Wausau. The big root was over 16 inches long. The plant and berry pod was very large, and the buyer told me to carefully keep everything together in a pail of wet sand and bring everything in, if I find another. The Chinese put this in a glass case and give as gifts, highly prized. I never did this, as is illegal to move seeds.

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5608

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Guys I agree that seng will do good in the right conditions compared to being in soil that is not right.And it makes perfectly good sence that those who till etc and grow get big roots fast.

But me and my brother have dug sevral very nice roos in the past two days a couple of those one 2 oz`s another one 1 5/8 have only a few neck scares others in the same area have 15 , 20 , even 30 neck scares and those roots also weigh around 2 oz`s or a little less or more.

Now we have dug a good many roots with 20 + neck scares right under or a little below some of those big bunches that are alot smaller and weigh like 1/4 to 1/2 ounce simaler to the root that Tnhunter has posted with the long neck scare,so it is of no doubght to me that some of those nice threes and smaller 4`s under the large 4`s there where the offspring of the large 4`s that had less neck scares to count.

I have noticed this not only this year but for the past 4 years.Even tho we have great soil conditions and great climate etc for the ginseng I do not believe that a root left under natural growing conditions even in quality soil etc will get that big in short years of lifespand especialy when there offspring is 20 years old ( not counting dorment seasons ) and are mutch smaller in the same soil etc.Even tho the large root has less scares I still believe that it is older than the offspring below it..

But that is just my opinion by my personal record and exsperience with roots and calculations.

I have thought this to,,,this may make you lol at me,but seriously,,Some people are large,,or overweight like me ,,and some others are skinny like my buddy Lee,,,who knows maybe some roots are as humans are,,we can eat the same food,drink the same drink,and one of us be overweight and the other be underweight,,,Lee can eat as mutch as me any giving day but he remains small and I remain large,,so maybe some roots are the same,they can grow bigger,faster,in the same exact soil,with the same exact nutreints but still have low neck scare count.

Billy.

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5612

Billy

I believe you may be somewhat right in saying that roots may grow diffrently just the same as people do. Some are tall and skinny and some short and fat. I believe each root grows diffrently and some may go dormant for several years and others will never go dormant. Some will grow with one single tap root and others grow several side roots and take on the appearance of a man.

Here is someting interesting from the Ginseng Book by Pritts.

\"During the summer, a small bud appears on the root beside the current year's stalk. Each year this bud appears atop the scar left by the previous stalk and eventually develops the next years plant. These cup-shaped bud scars build a neck that actually tells the plants age. If the neck is broken, however, the root will form a new bud immediately atop the broken neck, thereby \"losing\" the amount of scars that have been become detached. In this case, the age cannot be determined accurately. The neck sometimes developes blight and rots away completely. If the rot does not spread to the main root, a new bud will form near the top of the unaffected section of root and begin a new neck.\"

This may be one of the reasons that the neck is short but the root appears to be very old. ????

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5627

i agree completely. i hunt a patch nearly every year, replanting the berries and those tiny root clusters of course, and every year, a 3 or 4 prong will pop up in a spot where i've never pulled a root from. that's what keeps me goin back. that and the new seed.

Re:seven to nine years 13 years 7 months ago #5643

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
classicfur wrote:

Billy

I believe you may be somewhat right in saying that roots may grow diffrently just the same as people do. Some are tall and skinny and some short and fat. I believe each root grows diffrently and some may go dormant for several years and others will never go dormant. Some will grow with one single tap root and others grow several side roots and take on the appearance of a man.

Here is someting interesting from the Ginseng Book by Pritts.

\"During the summer, a small bud appears on the root beside the current year's stalk. Each year this bud appears atop the scar left by the previous stalk and eventually develops the next years plant. These cup-shaped bud scars build a neck that actually tells the plants age. If the neck is broken, however, the root will form a new bud immediately atop the broken neck, thereby \"losing\" the amount of scars that have been become detached. In this case, the age cannot be determined accurately. The neck sometimes developes blight and rots away completely. If the rot does not spread to the main root, a new bud will form near the top of the unaffected section of root and begin a new neck.\"

This may be one of the reasons that the neck is short but the root appears to be very old. ????

That makes good sence to me also.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 695 guests and no members online

Login