2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: old seng farm

old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5307

hello all just like to share a little story i have . The first time i got into seng digging was about 20 years ago i was hunting and stumbled on a sight that had so much seng growing i thought i won the lottery. I didn't know at the time it was a old Seng farm until a few years later the road that led to this place was no longer being use due to the big trees growing in it and it was grown up . as i was digging i notice a pattern on the hill sides it look like someone had made trails along side the hills about 20 on one side and about 30 on the other the seng i was digging was just off these trails some were in the trails but most outside the trails i guess they lost a few seeds and over the years they replenished the area . i don't know how many four prongs i dug but every year i go back i always dig about 20 or so big roots and there is always a new batch of plants up every year i know i walked over these spots and the next time there they are. bjb

[hint do a search in your home town news papers on the net or in the library look up ginseng or ginseng farms and you might find a lost sight that might have a nice old patch of seng waiting for you ] I found a sight dates about 1930s and mentions growing seng in the woods i will be checking this place out soon thanks all for a great sight bjb

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5316

bj,bj,bj -
your tellin me you continue digging in someone elses patch for years now, even after you realized what you're doing was digging in a small ginseng farm you did not plant?
You know most guys try to hide their patch by letting things look over grown.

Guy ,shakin his head at this one.

Re:old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5319

I guess if it was a seng farm back in the 1930's and for example the owners died out, had no kids to leave it to (or kids not interested in the farm) and it got sold to someone else just for timberland, new owners not interested in growing seng.

And now the new owners (could have been bought and sold and bought again at this point many times) gave you permission to go in there and hunt seng - now man that would be nice.

Wish I could get permission to hunt seng on someones old seng farm after it had been let go for 20-40-60 years (with no one harvesting the seng).

That would be a dream spot for sure.

The key to doing that the right way would be having permission from the current land owners or owning the land yourself.

TNhunter

Re:old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5320

I guess i should have said that i have permission to hunt and dig roots on this land. guy i do not trespass on anyone's land i guess some people just hunt anywhere they feel like it the land has changed hands a few times. and i have been digging for 20 some years i know most diggers in my area so i know this is not someones spot but it is mine now i guess theres always someone out there that has to think negative bjb

Re:old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5341

bj - permission makes it a whole new story.

guy

Re:old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5348

Man that sounds awesome. Without giving details. I have a public spot that wasn't public for many years. I was talking to an elderly gentleman that used to work there and he told me where he had planted sang many years ago. I plan to visit this year.
I

Re:old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5349

The more spots us sangers plant 100 or 1000 seeds out of the way or right under the nose of everybody the more speacial spots the next generation will stumble upon and go WOW! I have found many in my time and it makes me want to plant more spots even if I plan to never go back. Take some, Leave many, Plant more, Thats my motto. Congrats on you find.

Re:old seng farm 13 years 7 months ago #5371

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
billygoat wrote:

The more spots us sangers plant 100 or 1000 seeds out of the way or right under the nose of everybody the more speacial spots the next generation will stumble upon and go WOW! I have found many in my time and it makes me want to plant more spots even if I plan to never go back. Take some, Leave many, Plant more, Thats my motto. Congrats on you find.

roger that billygoat and amen to it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 296 guests and no members online

Login