2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: why not wait

why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #553

• 765hunter
  • 765hunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Is there anything wrong with just not selling my sang this year.I guess my question is will the buyer be able to tell that its a year old.I live in IN and its about 250 dry.Im not sellin for that

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #557

we can't here in ILL. because there is a \"must sell by ' date .that way they eliminate any hold over from last year.....all we can do is hope the price go's up .I'm setting on right at 10 pounds myself.....

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #563

• 765hunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the response.I looked at the IN law and although its not totally clear it seams im not allowed to posess any sang after march.I dug more this year than i usually do, hopin for last years price.Hopefully coon prices will be up to make up the difference.I got around 6 pound and although i love my ginseng, you guys know how much work that is.I dont even want to think what im makin per hr at 300 a pound.

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #567

I hunt walker dog's....if this economy dosen't turn around. coonhides may drop too .but they haven't yet...coon's are still in strong demand overseas.....heres my old dog and part of last years catch......

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #571

Nice looking dog and hides.The local fur buyer tells me beaver will be the meal ticket this year so I'm going to try them this year.Not as much fun as running the dogs but nothing say's I can't do both....Good luck and watch out for bears..

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #572

• 765hunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ya good lookin walker dog.Im fresh out of dogs at the moment,a guy thought my two dogs were worth more than i did, so now they are his dogs.mabey he will let me go with him this year.lol.If i dont pick up somethin i'll still set a few traps.Last year in southern IN i got 16 for my big coon.Thats skinned not scraped.Was Illinois bout the same?

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #576

Right in line with what you got....we averaged $15.90 on the first bunch we sold just before X-mas last year and $16.00for the one we sold at the end of season .mine were just skinned and put in the deep freeze.

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #588

Here in WV you can get a weight reciept from the DNR and keep ginseng as long as you want.

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #590

I think you must have the ginseng weighed at the end of the digging season.

Re:why not wait 15 years 6 months ago #591

I wish we could ...we are under a \"must sell by date'....no hold overs....here's what our unjust law say's.....Wild ginseng can be sold only during the period from two weeks after the opening of the harvest season through the following March 1. Possession of wild ginseng during the period of March 2nd until opening of the next harvest season is a violation of the law. The harvester of wild ginseng must provide the dealer with his or her name, address, harvester license number and the name of the county in which the ginseng was dug........what a joke.....see this is where they got us here in ILL...sang is a commodity just like corn and bean's .can you imagine what would happen if they told the farmers they must sell before a certain date...it's ridiculous ...if you were a buyer in this state what would you do the last 30 day's of season ....drop the price.... because you know they have got to sell.....take what we give or else..you still have to sell...it's crazy.. but ILL. with a governor like ours anything is possible.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Who's Online

We have 386 guests and no members online

Login