2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: You've got to be kidding

You've got to be kidding 13 years 6 months ago #6028

Ok so this is my first season digging ginseng and ive been doing all this research and reading studying lookin at pics of the stuff and so on. well for about the first weeki could find anything I bet i walked 10 miles before i found my first seng and that was after a 40 min drive. Anyway i found probly 2lbs of really nice root but the real kicker is I was setting aon my back steps taking off my shoes when i spotted a giant full grown yellow ginseng plant it had probly
been there for 30 years or more. it had been staring me in the face laughing the whole time any ways i live in the middle of a town of about 33000 is this unusual

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:You've got to be kidding 13 years 6 months ago #6043

Yes, that's pretty unusual. My guess is that somebody had planted that there at sometime in the past.

Re:You've got to be kidding 13 years 6 months ago #6045

ima post a vid here later ive been out back all day diggin this stuff. can anyone tell me how to post it ive had no luck with pics

Re:You've got to be kidding 13 years 6 months ago #6048

A couple years ago I asked a friend if I could hunt a hollow down at his Mothers place and he said Yes. I took his Mom some sweet corn and tomatoes and just made sure she knew what my Truck looked like and where I would park and she said there was probably some ginseng up that hollow but she had never seen any.

I found 20 or so nice plants just a few feet into the woods off her back yard and within 4' of her drive way found a real nice 4 prong and several nice 3's.

I am sure there are a lot of folks that have seng growing right near their home that don't know about it.

Most of the folks that hear me talking about seng say \"I have no idea what it looks like\" and that is true of a lot of folks, probably more true today than it was 20-30-40 years ago.

TNhunter

Re:You've got to be kidding 13 years 6 months ago #6049

??IOWA,

You can get yourself a youtube account setup and post the video there, then include a link to it (the URL) as text in a post here.

Here is one I did recently and I am just posting the youtube link/url as text here.

TNhunter

Re:You've got to be kidding 13 years 6 months ago #6054

i will try that youtube thing thanks for the info. Today I found like 2 lbs of nice gnarly like 6 in + long roots all very healthy look ancient. im so new to this though how good is that?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 334 guests and no members online

Login