2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: obtaining new land to search...

obtaining new land to search... 15 years 5 months ago #629

• sangman
  • sangman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just planning for next year. So my question: Does anyone have any suggestions for obtaining permission on private land in which you never have searched and didnt know the owner? I have been digging for a few years now and I want to expand my ginseng search locations (currently 5 locations, but one is limited, and of course that limited location is the best). I dont feel its right to just go out on unknown land, thats me though. I know my NC laws about govt. land, but regarding private land...has anyone scored a new search location from someone you didnt know or never met? How did you obtain the permission? Cold Call? Knock on door? Send a letter? Other? Any help or suggestions on the process would help. Also, I have searched online and have located land maps and who owns every plot of land in our county. I just want some more land to search. Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #812

sangman politely asking is your best bet.Sometimes offering some of the profit could help.More times than not you will get turned down but you just might be suprised if you just ask. To find woods that haven't been hunted is hard to do. One thing that is going to keep seng alive and well is woods that have been logged.Takes years before logged woods are walkable another thing that keeps hunting down i think are the tics and turkey mites.I hope there will always be seng out there cause you just can't beat finding it. good luck just try being polite. also glad to hear you don't like to trespass cause I hate it when people do it on the farm here.Makes me want to get out the shotgun.Asking is the only way to go.If you get premission take that person a big fresh apple pie the american way. Lots of luck to you!

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #814

• sangman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
huntndig, thanks for the info. I like that idea of a fresh apple pie, I think I will do that, along with making myself one, sounds really good.

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #817

you might throw a chopped up root in that pie for your health

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #822

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Sangman I totaly agree with huntndig.This year I just stoped at 2 homes where I spoted beautiful natural funnels leading to drains on a big moutian side,and ask the home owners for permission to hunt seng.They where very friendly and gave me the go ahead.I will say that 3 others told me no,but of the 5 I ask 2 said yes and I`ll take that ratio any year,and the senging was good.

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #823

• sangman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok, now thats inspiring. Just to know that a common tactic is to stop and ask people you dont know is a thing that people do in my position. And also, I wont be disappointed on a deny. Good info. Thanks. Also, thanks for your added thought on \"beautiful natural funnals leading to drains\" thats interesting isnt it how the land speaks to ya? I hit a good spot this year that I never been, and I could always see it from the main road and always knew that it was full of sang, it just had the \"look of plush and north facing, gradual slope/incline to a high peak\". Indeed it was,, its where I got more than half my sang this year.

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #824

• sangman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
nice nice. Maybe we are on to something here, callin the patent office right now.

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #826

Yea guys asking is the only way to find out.Just make sure you treat everyones land with respect.This year I found an empty water bottle right next to where someone dug a three pronger.Just made me sick!!! If you carry it in carry it out Please everyone!!!

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #829

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Sangman yes it is I love the way the Moutian can bring you into it.I ride my 4 wheller alot of times and look at layouts in the deeper Moutians.I also ride from the road in my truck and do the same.I have a very high success rate on hunting the drains from the middle,or top,that leads into natural funnels,and excellent spot on any Northern slope.

It is time for me to do another thing I love soon,deer hunting I am ansious to get to the stand and have a week off from work to get a nice one hopefuly,,,and you know what :) I will be hunting that same slope at the flat in the center for mr: white tail,Gotta love the Moutians..........

Re:obtaining new land to search... 15 years 4 months ago #835

• sangman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hope to here you get a 20 pointer!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 605 guests and no members online