2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 6 or 16 prong plant ?

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6819

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
This 2nd Picture shows the 10 small prongs that go around in a perfect circle above the other 6 prongs of the main stalk.

Each one of these prongs where about the size of a tooth pick and they each had a leaf on them.When I found the plant there where actualy 5 leaves still on the steams and the others where laying on the ground under the plant,there was 10 leaves and a couple had 2 leafs instead of 1 and one prong had 3 leafs on it.

I wish I hadent touched the plant,but it did not seem to be that fragile,but soon as I touched it the 2 smallest prongs of the main six prongs fell and 3 of the small leaves from the 10 toothpic size that where still on the steams fell,but all of the plants peaces where still there on the ground.Me and my buddy Ron and Little Ron admired it for over 30 minutes looking and seeing how everything was on the plant.

I have numbered where and how the 10 toothpick sized prongs went around the 2nd pretruding stalk above the main six prongs.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6820

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
This last pictures shows the size of the root and how long it was etc.I have wrote down the inches,but I didnt have room on the photo to add the circomfrence of the root.The main big root at its roundest part was about 2 3/4 inches.The bottom root was near 1 3/4 inches at the center.The curl was as big around as my finger next to my thumb.

Well Guys I wish I would have had bettter pictures,but the weather called for sevear rain that evening and I didnt want to ruin an exspensive recorder :( what a bad mistake that day.I would give two of those recorders for a good clear video of this plant.

However I Hope you all did get an idea of just how unique this plant was.I am very thankfull to have found and seen this in my lifetime :cheer:

Billy.

Attachments:

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6825

• mifflin fur
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
wow thats an awesome find man thanks for sharing

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6826

Thats awsome!!! great find!!!

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6828

That is awesome Billy. Thanks for sharing.
Have you considered planting that root in your own patch, I would be curious what the plant would look like next year.

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6829

Thanks Billy. Wow,Dave M had an idea there. Have you started drying it yet? I'd actually pony up with others to pay you at the root's price to plant it and see what the plant looks like . Shoot, you could start a ginseng calender featuring unique roots and that could be January.B)

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6830

Hi Billy!

Hi all !! I am new to the forum and new to sengin. Just got into it this year with my Dad. This plant is really cool. I believe you posted somewhere another oddball plant that you had dug. If I remember right it was a ten leaf no prong or ten prong one leaf per prong type deal. Dave M has a great idea on planting those odd ball roots and checking them out again next year. If you put these with other transplants it may cause a cross polination and end up with your own special breed of seng. I am still learning how to find this stuff and am not sure that I could have spotted the odd ball ones. Managed to dig 2 lbs 6 oz this year in my first year. The season goes by way too fast and had already been in for a few weeks before I went on my first hunt. I hope to see a nice plant like that someday. Great forum you guys got here!!

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6831

Billy, how old is it?

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6835

WOW!!!.............Speachless............WOW!!!

Re:6 or 16 prong plant ? 13 years 6 months ago #6837

Billy, once again congrats on the great find! Sorry your pics didn't turn out better, but you can still tell that the plant had to be huge. looks like that top would have been 3 to 4 foot in diameter when it was green. I think I would have had to transplant that one to see it green next year if I had found it. Congrats on an encredible find! How many steps on the curl?

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 788 guests and no members online

Login