2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice on Best GPS Unit for Seng Hunting (mostly)

Re:Advice on Best GPS Unit for Seng Hunting (mostly) 13 years 5 months ago #8151

Hillhopper,

You can get software that will let you key in the lat/long readings for property corners (does not matter if there are only 3 or 4 or 20 corners) with different twist and turns as long as there are straight lines between the corners, and it will calculate the acerage and print out a plot of the land.

If you are buying land and the survey is old (say last one done in the 70's or 80's) back when they used the 100' chain pull method, well the acerage may not be very accurate at all.

Instead of paying for a survey (expensive) you can just get the lat/long readings from the corners with a GPS and enter them in the software and it will calculate the acerage within 1/100 of a acre.

If you had a large tract that you were wanting to split up and sell, you could play around with the corners on the smaller tracts until you get them all split up into 5 acre tracts (just a example).

I did not think about the GPS unit possibly doing that for you, or perhaps some software that comes with the GPS having that ability.

Could be.

The software I was looking at a couple years ago was called metsandbounds. Probably still available online if you look around.

Edit-Add - I looked around online and found a download for the metes and bounds software on cnet site.

download.cnet.com/Metes-and-Bounds/3000-2064_4-10413432.html

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Advice on Best GPS Unit for Seng Hunting (mostly) 13 years 5 months ago #8156

TNhunter,

If you're anything like me, you will be playing around with your new toy for a while, so please let us know what you think. I've bought a lot of junk over the years that I absolutely regretted, but this is one of the rare purchases I want to kick myself for not buying sooner.

Re:Advice on Best GPS Unit for Seng Hunting (mostly) 13 years 5 months ago #8158

Iv been kickin the idea of getting one around for a while. If nothing else the area calculation would come in handy for my work but after looking into it I would say it could be a god send for a roaming seng hunter as well

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 421 guests and no members online

Login