2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 7-leaves...How common or rare?

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 12 years 8 months ago #11063

Thanks for all the comments guys.

The poison ivy might be a problem in a couple months!LOL I haven't gotten it in years, but I'm not going to tempt it though. I'm probably not gonna dig this one anyway, at least this year. I'm too curious as to what it might become. I know for a fact that it's a least 17 years old. There are about 10 just like it, without the 7 leaves, growing in that little patch. They are safe, so I'm just gonna let 'em grow.

It's actually growing under a strip of hemlock trees. I transplanted 12-15 plants back in '93 or '94 just before we were gonna sell some timber on a place. I went in and dug and sold the big stuff and transplanted these as young 2's and 3's and a couple were probably 3 leafers. They have done amazingly well under the hemlocks, which kind of surprised me due to the acidity in the soil. When I do finally decide to dig this one, I'll be sure to post pics of the root. I'm sure it's going to be a good one.

Thanks again everyone, and happy huntin'!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 12 years 8 months ago #11071

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I didnt know that classicfur thanks for sharing that about the white pines :)

classicfur wrote:

Jasson44

That's a nice plant!

I noticed that that the mulch around that plant is Pine needles instead of leaf mulch. Probably White Pine.

I have about 1500 plants growing under the edge of White Pines that are growing well. In fact for their age the ones growing under White Pines are growing better than the ones under Sugar Maples that are the same age.

I read years ago, that seng does well under White Pine. So I started experimenting with the idea. Sure enough, they grow exceptionally well under White Pines.

Thanks for sharing that.

classicfur

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 12 years 8 months ago #11073

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Jason that is realy nice and all that Tnhunter wrote is true.

Tnhunter I believe that the plant will come back in a couple years with those leafs I hope so.I know you would like that with that tall berry pod.

I normaly find 4 or 5 plants a season like that with 6 or 7 leafs on a branch

And I am sure that great soil and conditions is a factor in play for this to happen and not just the age,even tho age is needed of course,but not realy old age.

What I mean is I have found a 7 leaf plant with 12 scars and then I have found them with 40 or more neck scars.In the same general area from each other.

Also let me share something with you Jason that I have not wrote about here on the site.

If you can let that plant root stay in the ground or transplant it to a good spot then all 4 prongs will produce more leafs in a few years and the first two that produce 7 will have either 8 on both or 8 on one and 9 on the other,I know this because I have saw this with my own eyes.I have saw one plant that had 8 and 9 leafs on it and the other two had 7 that is the most I have ever saw on a 4 prong.

But the root does not have to be realy old to make 7 leafs,around 12 ,13 years old,but to make 8 and 9 leafs it will be older and that comes from my exsperience of living an digging in a area where they are not hard to find each season.I usaly find 2 or 3 seven leafs a year,but the 8 and 9 leafs are harder to find,and will be older..

I noticed one more thing about your ginseng plant it has a unusaly large steam for its height and for wild ginseng,that means the root will be fat (chunky) and have long hair roots,dig it carful it will be nice,let me know if I was wrong :)

Billy.

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 12 years 8 months ago #11077

Ginseng also loves to grow under Holly Trees.I have a small wild patch i found under two hollys

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 12 years 8 months ago #11078

Thanks for all the advice Billy. I didn't know that about the 8 and 9 leaves. That is very interesting. Being as this is the first 7-leafer I've found, it's got more curious and wanting more!

Also, I'll definitely be careful digging it. I didn't know that about the short stem and all. Thanks and I appreciate the info.

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 12 years 7 months ago #11110

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Jason here is a top that had 5 leaves on one prong,6, on another 7, on another and then 8 on the last one check that out it is neat.
Attachments:

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 12 years 7 months ago #11114

That is really cool. I like that pic. Lookin' at all this seng has got me fired up to get out and go find some. Thanks for sharing that pic. It's really interesting to see them, because there's not too many of them scattered through the woods.

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 10 years 6 months ago #23837

Here's what I have...has a woody stem.

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 10 years 6 months ago #23838

be careful with the alchohol. it removes your natural oils from your skin making you possibly more prone to catch it. :ohmy:

Re:7-leaves...How common or rare? 10 years 6 months ago #23840

OK...I could not upload pics. of my ginseng TREE....
So I loaded it to my pet site...

Take a look at these guys and let me know what you think.
The root came from Harding's Ginseng in MD.

Planted the six+ year old root in 2008.

I did not know ginseng could turn into a woody tree.
Note the sticky bud.

Any thoughts to what I have here?

http://globalcodeguild.com/Ginseng/tabid/592/Default.aspx

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online

We have 561 guests and no members online

Login