2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: wanted to say hi

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11347

hunter_3780,

Welcome to the forum as a posting member now !

I have dug some wild seng in soil like you mention and found it to have nice wild looking roots - perhaps longer than usual but still looked nice and wild. Also the ginseng looked nice and healty (plant top wise), nice tall seng with big leaves.

I have a little spot where I transplanted some small roots a couple seasons ago just off my back yard. They did great there last year and did not yellow until September.

This year they looked great up until Mid July (last time I checked on them) and then I noticed one yellowing towards the end of July, then I checked on them again Friday and all 10 had expired.

It has been bad hot here (up near 100) and bad dry for 3-4 weeks.

Something that added to my problem is that a tree on the west side of the location I planted them died, and this year they were getting more evening sun than before. The combo of hot, dry and more sun just did them in.

One of them was a nice 3 prong this year and had 12 green berries on and now it's just standing there with wilted yellow leaves.

Made me sick when I saw that.

Oh well - I will just mark their locations good and dig them up late fall and move them somewhere else, probably on down the hill a bit.

I have watered my seed producing bed 5 times this season and still 3 of the plants there have expired - still standing with green berries.

I expect that in the wild any ginseng that is growing higher up on the hill or in a more sunny spot than ideal - may have suffered the same fate as my little patch.

From what I saw yesterday while scouting, seng that is lower on the hill and in good shade is doing well.

We had a lot of rain and nice weather in June and that made the seng put on a lot of berries this year, but after that it has been quite brutal hot and dry.

I hope for some cooler weather and more rain soon to help things out here. We did get some good rain yesterday - first in many a week.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11375

I too have noticed some plants going down already, especially first year three leafers. The once thick stand is a little thinner today but their growth buds are formed already so they will be seen again. Our longer southern growing season is only good in favorable conditions but a Tennessee July and August can be pretty dog-on rough.

Hillhopper

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11377

Welcome-

Maybe you can post some of your thoughts....

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11394

hey guys. i scouted saturday and sunday morning and have decided if im going to dig any this year i had better be marking it. any ideas on how to mark it so that i can find it come september? i found quite a bit of sang this weekend but most of it was yellow or already wilting away i found some that was already just a stem. i probably only fount 10 green bunches of sang. it was all inside of brushpiles, pawpaw patches, ect. as fast as it is dieing out this year the prices should go way up. anyone heard any rumors on prices as of yet?

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11397

I haven't heard anything on price yet, and don't expect to til some states open their seasons. As far as marking seng you could tie some surveyors tape to nearby branches trees etc. and take a pic with your cell phone so that you could tell later the aproximate location. You do run the risk of someone else coming in there though and having all the diggers marked for them...Just a thought. Personally, I'd just let mother nature keep what she wants this year; )

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11403

Ginseng here is still green and hardly any red berries but we have had plenty of rain this year in southeastern Kentucky.

rootman

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11405

hunter_3780

You could mark those dieing tops by putting 3-4 rocks at the base to sort of surround where the stem goes into the ground.

Then either mark the spot with your GPS if you have one, or some other way - like leaning a short log up against a tree just up the hill a bit or tieing on a bit of survey ribon.

If you place is fairly secure you could just mark them with those little wire flag's like I used as temporary markers for my ginseng beds when planting. I got a 100 pack of those at a local TSC store fairly cheap. They are about 18\" long and have a orange flag on top. That is what I marked my dead and dying plants with, so I can dig them up later in the fall and find them a new / better home.

If it is a locaton where some poacher could easily get to, I would use the rocks & leaning log markers instead.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11428

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Everything looks real good over hear to rootman it is going to be a good season in Ky.

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11432

Hey Guys,

I got out and mowed my yard this evening (first time in two weeks) it just has not gwown much because of the heat and dry.

Even though it rained some on Saturday it is bad dry here again already.

I looked like \"pig pen\" from the peanuts gang out there on my mower with all of the dust I was generating. It was bad.

We need some relief over here in Middle TN, like a few weeks of cooler weather and some good all night all day rains.

I have not checked on my wild simulated plantings since early June, just been busy and it's been hot and well the woods are full of ticks and chiggars (as usual) so I just have not been out there to check on em.

If they have suvived this late summer heat and dry spell I expect they will make it for years to come. I am going to harvest any red berries I have on my seed bed now (and know I have something like 10-15 out there now) and plant them down in the deep ravine by the waterfall. It is always cool and moist down there and there is always some wild seng growing there too. I think that will be a good place to put some of my early red berries.

Good Luck to you all on the weather in your area.

TNhunter

Re:wanted to say hi 12 years 8 months ago #11433

well it rained all night and most of the morning today. will the ginseng green back up or is it done?

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 329 guests and no members online

Login