2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Security concerns

Security concerns 14 years 8 months ago #1560

Need to get serious about protecting my patch. I live hours from my spot and the secluded nature of the location, despite being posted, private property, might attract rippers. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Security concerns 14 years 8 months ago #1577

• Digger
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have had success using game cameras from Wal-Mart. That and signs that say: Cultivated Ginseng-You are being watched! Property is also posted.

Re:Security concerns 14 years 8 months ago #1582

they also sell fake security cameras that have a blinking red light on them they run on like two small batteries. They say they seem to work some i really don't know though. Scott persons talks about it in his book. one guy also hangs a dummy poacher being hung with a sign on his neck saying seng poacher in his patch. So i would say trying any of these ideas wouldn't hurt anything but you have got your hands full with having a patch that you are not close to you. I know you said it was secluded but does anyone live close to your patch at all. Just hope that if anyone does venture into your patch hope that it is an honest person. and not a thief. I don't mean to get you down i am just telling it like it is. To me getting into someone's patch wouldn't be any fun if you like to hunt it. That is the thrill of the hunt for me is finding it not finding someones patch. I guess its like poaching a big buck though i don't see what people get out of that either though.

Re:Security concerns 14 years 7 months ago #1779

This is a big dilemma for a hunter, I guess. An honest hunter wouldn't be on posted ground hunting for seng but, there are the not so honest ones who would. Now if the ground isn't posted and you find the seng in the woods, is it wild or is it someones patch? You and I know that chances are someone has planted it there but, do you dig it? I plant on my ground and have it posted, so if I find someone digging there they are stealing. The only way to be sure it's your seng would be to plant it on your own ground and dig it when mature. Just my 2 cents.

Re:Security concerns 14 years 7 months ago #1802

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I am a hunter and when im riding to and from I often watch for an area that I think might hold ginseng.If I see an area of interest I start looking on the road for private property signs,no trespasing etc.If I see one of such signs I automaticaly forget that area,no matter how good it looks to me,but as deiselrider said everyone is not that ohnest,I so wish they where.

Wwe have had a growing problem in our area,alot of people got so badly hooked on drugs that they woul dig ginseng out of season,not letting the fruit ripen and realy destroyed alot of the open area to the public,and here in Kentucky that is alot of land.It is sad that they would even dig the smallest seng untill it is now very hard to find anything in places that held seng for decades.There was no stewradship involved only there driving desire for the next pill,etc....Now they realy messed up alot of area and they have started trying to poach private land,and even our Parks,so around here the authorities have finaly began to help.

They have made a legal size limit to what the dealers will be able to buy this year,anything under that will be refused and not bought,this will stop them from digging the 2 prongs and small 3 prongs and over some time should help replenish certian areas.

Also they have picked up on security in the parks and started watching large private land areas better,I sincearly hope they catch everyone that does not practise good stewardship,and everyone who violates whats rite to others property and land.

I wish more thasn anything else that honesty was what it should be in all people,and that the drug addicts could find the help they need,but thats not the world we live in and it seems to be worse now than when I was in my 20`s.

Re:Security concerns 14 years 7 months ago #1814

So far we have not been hit at night, maybe our hound dog helps.If you don't live close or have trust wearthy neighbours, camera's would be good , but I can't take them away from finding out were that big buck calls home.

Re:Security concerns 14 years 7 months ago #1949

• IdRatherBeSengin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I can deffinately see your'e delima and hope that you don't have any problems. A true seng hunter wouldn't bother your patch because like hillbilly said, it takes away from the thrill of the hunt. I would say what everyone else has said... signs and cameras are about your only options. Anyway, best of luck in keeping your patch safe.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 304 guests and no members online

Login