2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Beekeeping Adventure!

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 1 month ago #17023

Bee's where out and about today! Nice day high 50's looks like my hives made it thru winter (Thank God)!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 1 month ago #17025

trahn

It's always a Big relief knowing that your bees have made it through the winter. Also a sense of accomplishment in helping them make it.

We've been homeschooling for twenty years now. My oldest three kids have all gone and made it through college. These three kids all took part in beekeeping when we lived in WI. It created a memory for life.

Our three kids(ages 16,13 and 9) are still at home and looking forward to their chance at beekeeping. Its very educational for kids, in seeing how bees are so organized in every thing they do.

Our package bees will be here on April 12, less than one month away.

I'm so looking forward to having bees again. Also for the great benefit of pollination of our fruit trees, berries and also pollination of my ginseng plants.

Can't Wait!

Congrats on your bees coming through winter in good condition.

classicfur

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 1 month ago #17028

Thanks Classicfur sure is a relief. Thinking about Home schooling my little guy took me over 20 years to unprogram myself from pubic school teachings!!! (Another topic).. Watched the bee's today for over 1hr they were bring in lots of pollen today high 60's. Some of the bee's had fire red pollen on there hind legs, not sure from what but will have to look that up. I could just watch them for hrs.

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 1 month ago #17032

trahn

I'm jealous That your watching your bees working.

Also, I have spent my whole life deprograming what Public School did to me.

Here's a couple good sites for identifying pollen.

This one tells you what color the pollen is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

This one you click on the map and then enter your zip code and it will tell you whats in bloom right now.

www.pollen.com/allergy-weather-forecast.asp

Good luck!

classicfur

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 1 month ago #17036

Our bees have done pretty good over the winter, unfortunately so have the hive beetles. My wife has made some traps and ordered some more. I'll be home from Aghanistan in a few weeks to see for myself. In the Spring & summer we sit on a bench by he hives and watch them bringing in pollen, checking the colors and such. We call it BEE TV!!

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 1 month ago #17053

Tarheelbilly

That is cool to have a bench set up next to your hives. The wife and I have spent countless hours standing and watching the bees. I never thought of setting a bench close to the hives. Great Idea! Then we can watch BEE TV!

How cool is that?

Thanks,

classicfur

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 8 hours ago #17329

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 8 hours ago #17330

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 1 hour ago #17334

My mason bees hatched this weekend. Good to see!
Attachments:

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 11 years 11 months ago #17372

trahn

I love the close-up of the bees. Nice Shot!

I installed bees in two hives on 4/13 almost two weeks ago. One hive is really drawing the comb. They are working 8 frames in the first box so I added a second box. I've never seen a hive need a second box in less than two weeks.

Maya. Great pic of the Mason bee. What are the straw tubes made out of? Interesting breed of bee!

Thanks,

classicfur

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Who's Online

We have 247 guests and no members online

Login