2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A question of right and wrong

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18260

Latt, there isnt as much seng in there as I would like :laugh: It's been my honeyhole for the past 5 yrs and I've been planting all the seed back as I dig the mature plants.
I've only walked over about half of the area and I'm not that great at spotting ginseng.
But I'm slowly getting better....

Thanks!

Randy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18261

The law is there to protect the ginseng - - - under normal circumstances, but the law was not written considering a situation like a site being strip mined. There is just no protecting ginesneg when that happens.

I would harvest every root possible (say 2 prong and up) before the place is destroyed.
I would think that if you wait until the end of July, next years bud spur should be developed enough so that they would sprout up next spring. May be a little early right now but not sure. You could sample some and see.

Those smaller roots, that you are going to re-plant somewhere else, just toss them in a separate bag, and put some leaf mulch in there too, and keep it moist. As you add more small roots, add more moistened mulch. They will be fine like that until you can replant them somewhere else.

If you have a basement (cool place) you can store them there in a bucket for a few days - just make sure the leaf mulch and roots stay a little moist.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18268

Thanks for the input TNhunter, looking at it that way would be obeying the \"spirit of the law\" (protecting the ginseng) rather than the \"letter of the law\".

If we dont get some rain soon it isnt going to matter.

Randy

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18274

Randy,
my thoughts are to wait until ginseng season starts and dig everything that you come across, if you get caught then 'man up' and try to explain your way out. It is probably useless to try to cut thru the red tape to get the law changed, that is if the land is scheduled to be mined in 2013, however just remember the reason for the laws are in place is to deter \"early digging and the taking of immature plants. If loggers, contractors, road builders ect..used that excuse for digging ginseng then the woods would be full of people packing a chainsaw and looking for ginseng, its funny how an individual has to wait until september to hunt ginseng, but you can drive a dozier thru a patch in the middle of june and nobody would bat an eye.
just my thoughts
Happy hunting

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18287

\"If loggers, contractors, road builders ect..used that excuse for digging ginseng then the woods would be full of people packing a chainsaw and looking for ginseng\"

I know several that do this.....fortunately they usually stick to the easy paths and dont hit the steep area too hard.

Randy

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18293

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
RSkid I want be long in speach - I obey evry rule that is in place for wild ginseng because they are there to help the giseng population,and I agree and support them,,but in this case as soon as harvest season begins in your area save all the plants you can because you have no choice I am not aginst mining coal but i despise strip mining we dug the coal without destroying the mountians.

Billy.

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18294

Thanks Billy, I just want to do what is right. Hopefully staying within the legal part of it :)

Over the past few years of reading the posts on here I've come to respect you guys on this forum and have learned a lot about mountain stewardship from you. I've been reading some on the laws here in my state and they seem to be geared more toward the dealers rather than the diggers.

Thanks!

Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 117 guests and no members online

Login