2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift!

Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18413

Hi All:

Once again I am buying wild ginseng tops, dry, green and whole preferred at a premium price. Also buying green 5 and 6 prong tops, will pay for express shipping Thank you. Please call 7155712427 if you have any questions.

ps. some seeds available
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18414

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
As of now ginseng season is not open to buy tops did you mean that you will be buying tops once ginseng season opens ?

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18415

yes, Billy, for the New Season.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18418

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
ok thx

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18424

Good catch, Billy.

For you Kentucky folks, when we talk ginseng season in Kentucky and harvest, that means ALL of the plant, not just the roots. That also means ALL types of ginseng, not just wild. \"Ginseng\" includes, wild, wild-simulated, cultivated and woodsgrown for KENTUCKY.

Don't believe me? Here is information from the official, unofficial sources:

www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/246-00/650.PDF

246.650 Definitions for KRS 246.660.
As used in KRS 246.660, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) \"Harvest\" means to take any part of the ginseng plant while the plant is living; and
(2) \"Ginseng\" means any part of the American ginseng plant known as Panax
quinquefolius.
Effective: June 8, 2011

www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/302/045/010.htm

Section 1. Definitions.
(1) \"Artificially Propagated\" means ginseng grown from seeds or rootlets that:
(a)1. Are exempt from the provisions of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) as implemented by 50 C.F.R. Part 23; or
2. Were derived from cultivated parental stock; and
(b) Were woodsgrown or cultivated.

(3) \"Cultivated\" means ginseng grown under artificial shade and in tilled soil.
(8) \"Ginseng\" is defined by KRS 246.650(2).
(10) \"Harvest\" is defined by KRS 246.650(1).
(14) \"Wild\" means:
(a) Ginseng grown with minimal interference by humans, and under natural canopy in forest or woodlands; or
(b) Mature ginseng plants if they are derived from seeds of wild ginseng that were planted as required by Section 4(3) of this administrative regulation.
(15) \"Wild Simulated\" means ginseng grown:
(a) From seed that was not planted as required by Section 4(3) of this administrative regulation;
(b) With minimal interference by humans; and
(c) Under natural canopy.
(16) \"Woodsgrown\" means ginseng which was:
(a) Grown under natural canopy; and
(b) Purposefully managed.

Section 4. Harvest. (1) Ginseng shall only be harvested between September 1 and December 1 of each year.
(2) Ginseng shall not be harvested which is less than five (5) years old or has less than three (3) five (5) leafed prongs.
(3) Seeds adhering to a plant taken during the season shall be planted within fifty (50) feet of the location of the plant with no tool used other than the finger.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18431

Kyjabber, I guess the laws are what they are, but ginseng grown from bought seed should be the growers to do what they want-when they want. Soon we wont be able to kill a tame turkey out of wild turkey season. Maybe the government should also tell us when to dig our potatoes, pick our corn, etc..

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18432

As I've posted earlier today, and I've said countless times:

Many dislike and ignore harvest restrictions in place, but our short term greed is what had gotten us to a place where these had to be implemented. If each harvester had waited for the berries and planted them back, thought before making the forest road and the cabin in the woods (on the prime ginseng site, nonetheless), didn't dig up the immature plants, didn't dig up everything they saw (and the next person behind them), respected property laws, we wouldn't even be talking about a ginseng harvest season....

Now, off my soapbox.

Remember - Kentucky's harvest season for ALL types of and all parts of ginseng starts September 1.

After that, happy hunting.

At this time, Kentucky doesn't have a recognized grower program. It will in the future. At what point in the future, I don't know at this time, but I with good certainty that it will at some point. I recommend sharing how you think that such a program should like to your state's coordinator.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18433

I agree with you on the WILD ginseng. It needs protected. Just dont agree with woodsgrown, wild simulated and cultivated being treated the same.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18434

Mr wild wrote:

I agree with you on the WILD ginseng. It needs protected. Just dont agree with woodsgrown, wild simulated and cultivated being treated the same.

I understand what you are saying, but again, that water is under the bridge. Once a species is listed on CITES, to my understanding, all types of that species - with the distinction being wild or artificially propagated - will from there on out be regulated at some point.

With all due respect, that argument was settled 37 years ago when american ginseng was listed on CITES Appendix II.

And due to the ginseng horticulture practices, in many cases it's hard to distinguish between wild and wild simulated patches. Then if so much more of the ginseng is sold (but looks wild? or wild sim) under wild that isn't, then why aren't more open they are ginseng growers.

So, again, it's not that simple. I wish it was, but it's not. And woodsgrown cultivation can impact (and unless documented) wild harvest (oh, I'll just get my ginseng I'm growing, and throw in some wild)... and don't tell me that hasn't happened.

Again, if it hadn't - we would be having this discussion.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18435

On the State of TN website, ginseng page, it says this about Wild-simulated ginseng..

==
Wild-simulated ginseng is sown under natural shade and natural habitat conditions but scattered and not in beds. This category is not recognized by all states, including Tennessee, and is treated as wild ginseng.
==

Notice it says \"all states\" ---- and is treated as \"wild ginseng\".

So I guess the wild ginseng harvest season dates would also apply to your wild simulated seng.

That does not really bother me much. You are actually better off waiting until fall to harvest roots at the very end of the growing season, and I hear that they retain more weight in the fall than they do if dug in spring or summer.

I doubt seriously that the big artificial shade grown field cultivated growers only harvest their seng during the \"wild seng harvest season dates\". But then again that is not wild-simulated so perhaps that excludes them from that limiation.

TNhunter

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 617 guests and no members online

Login