2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift!

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18437

If you haven't, read this

http://www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/pdf/2010wild-simulatedginseng.pdf

What Kyjabber is trying to tell you is that the federal government through the US Fish & Wildlife Service (Divisions of Management and Scientific Authority) are putting HUGE presure on the states to comply with their wishes or they will BAN the export of ginseng from the state completely. If the states do not adjust their harvest seasons, and if they do not have an \"approved\" ginseng management program, the feds can and will prohibit the harvest and export of ginseng from that state. She is telling you the truth when she says the argument is already over with.

And, they DO get their panties in a bunch if you try to export stuff harvested outside the open season...even if it is listed and certified as cultivated.

Here in Ohio, the law specifically lists wild sim as wild, and all other growing methods as cultivated for the purpose of the laws and regulations. But, I can certainly see where Kyjabber is coming from. How can you tell if a beautiful woodsgrown root is wild or wildsimulated or really woodsgrown if it looks the same?

You have to consider that these people in Washington are administrators (something I know about) and do not necessarily know anything about ginseng other than what they read. They rely on what the states tell them. People like Kyjabber are in the middle. They are pressured by the feds to do this or that, but also responsible to the citizens in the state who harvest and deal in the plant.

As one versed in administration, I understand the job gets easier if we cut out the grey area of things so violations are clearly visible. However, as law enforcement, I know that creates a ripple that may result in negative externalities which are very harmful to the ultimate goal of sustained harvest.

I am likely more T'd off by governmental intrusion that most of you, however, ignoring the laws which are intended for nobel purposes aren't the way to handle it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18438

Thanks Brad and TNHunter!

I get very passionate about ginseng, just like you all.

We all have to work together to do what's best going forward. We all won't be happy, but I know we're going to try to do what's best all around.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18440

I would think most if not all members here are all for following the laws on ginseng. I beleive growers are ultimatly helping the species, not hurting it. If someone is growing ginseng and sees there is a problem and needs to transplant a root or remove roots due to root rot, they should be able to. common sense to me.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18444

Yes Mr wild, a plant with root rot needs to be removed before it spreads to neighboring plants. I'm like you being a good steward of ginseng is common sense.

rootman

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18454

I guess the rub here is how to reconcile that position (which I fully understand) with that of an administrator or one charged with enforcement who cannot readily tell what your true intentions are. Everyone lies to me. My job is more about telling the big liars from the little liars most days. And, from an administrative point of view, it is simpler to just remove the option to lie about a particular thing. Its not the people in the middle who are at fault, nor is it the enforcement folks. It is the nature of the beast and part of being an American.

We tend to want to do what we know we should be able to do in the best interest of the plant and what we know is the right thing to do with nobel intent. However, those who are theives among us will lie about their intentions trying to confuse the issue so they can get away with doing whatever they want at the cost of you and I in the long run.

My suggestion is that we do not get all bent out of shape over the situation, but instead look for experimentation which created sound verifiable fact to change the way some of the administrator's see things. Don't forget, the state administrators have the feds breathing down their necks on the ginseng thing. The feds as an overly general rule don't much care one way or the other. I think the folks at the state administration level do care.

So, just like everyone who gets a speeding ticket whines about the cop, they really should be making their case to the legislators who make the laws the cops are tasked with enforcing. Ultimately, it comes full circle back to them in the voting booth choosing to elect this legislator over that one.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18455

Thanks for the full info. Please adhere to your local laws. Did not intend to stir up a storm, now we are better informed and let's do the right thing.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18456

Appreciate all the info and input. BCastle wrote:

If you haven't, read this

http://www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/pdf/2010wild-simulatedginseng.pdf

What Kyjabber is trying to tell you is that the federal government through the US Fish & Wildlife Service (Divisions of Management and Scientific Authority) are putting HUGE presure on the states to comply with their wishes or they will BAN the export of ginseng from the state completely. If the states do not adjust their harvest seasons, and if they do not have an \"approved\" ginseng management program, the feds can and will prohibit the harvest and export of ginseng from that state. She is telling you the truth when she says the argument is already over with.

And, they DO get their panties in a bunch if you try to export stuff harvested outside the open season...even if it is listed and certified as cultivated.

Here in Ohio, the law specifically lists wild sim as wild, and all other growing methods as cultivated for the purpose of the laws and regulations. But, I can certainly see where Kyjabber is coming from. How can you tell if a beautiful woodsgrown root is wild or wildsimulated or really woodsgrown if it looks the same?

You have to consider that these people in Washington are administrators (something I know about) and do not necessarily know anything about ginseng other than what they read. They rely on what the states tell them. People like Kyjabber are in the middle. They are pressured by the feds to do this or that, but also responsible to the citizens in the state who harvest and deal in the plant.

As one versed in administration, I understand the job gets easier if we cut out the grey area of things so violations are clearly visible. However, as law enforcement, I know that creates a ripple that may result in negative externalities which are very harmful to the ultimate goal of sustained harvest.

I am likely more T'd off by governmental intrusion that most of you, however, ignoring the laws which are intended for nobel purposes aren't the way to handle it.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18478

Hello forum members...long time lurker first time posting
Really good information here.

This is directed to DrGinSeng:
I'll call the number you provided but had a few questions on the tops.
Green would be tough for me to provide since my duration is usually from dawn/dusk once the season opens.
-How do I keep them green or in a suitable state you'd find acceptable?
(Usually they end up being crushed so personally use them for tea)
-What type of condition do the dry tops need to be in, more specifically?
-Ballpark idea what tops go for? (Anyone?)

Thanks. MidwestShanger

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18479

You may air dry all leaves with the stem on and please do not crush them when packing. Just loosely put in a box. Fresh ones are only for the rare kinds with 5 or 6 prongs, will buy their roots as well green with certification preferred. Wisconsin law does allow for recertification within a month to its original county and state if not certified.

See the picture for its ideal form. we make tea and others with it.
Attachments:

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 9 months ago #18487

Just a note... not all states allow transportation out of state at all until the material is certified. Ohio allows transport of uncertified as long as it is returned and certified within 14 days.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 742 guests and no members online

Login