2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DeerHunting 2012

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21233

TNhunter,

You are very welcome on the recipe and I hope it comes out great! By the way, below is a great recipe for those Tenderloins.

Combine and mix well 1 to 2 cups (depending upon how many Tenderloins you plan to fry) of White Flour, about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/4 teaspoon of Salt, 1/8 teaspoon of Black Pepper, 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon of Cumin and 1/8 teaspoon of Curry Powder.
Note: You might have to experiment a few times on the amounts of the above before you get the recipe right where you want it.

Roll Tenderloins in the mixture above ensuring a light coating on each but not thick coating. Fry the Tenderloins in a skillet with a light covering of Crisco in the bottom of the skillet on a medium heat or slightly lower setting until nicely browned (not light and not dark) on both sides, ensuring that the Tenderloins are cooked. Eat them hot, cool or right out of the refrigerator, they are great any way! These make great snacks on a Deer hunt instead of taking Jerky.

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21274

FELLAS- I got one last night. Went out x3 during the storm's passing and didn't see a thing, altho I did get very wet on Monday night. We didn't have the storm here in central NC that the northeast had. My heart goes out to them after seeing the news reports.

Anyway, it was about 5:45 when I shot. This buck had moved around the field edge for at least 15 mins prior to coming out. I was sitting a ground blind about 50 yards away, and kept noticing some movement in the brush beyond the field's edge, however it was windy so didn't really see the deer there, just the movement. He came out into the hayfield I was looking over after that. Even after I shot, he went about 60 yd.s back into the thick brush before piling up.

Only 7 points on the rack, however the biggest bodied deer I have taken around here. Before his gut-ectomy, I guess he weighed around 185 - 200lb.s. This is the first deer this season for me!
Attachments:

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21275

Whitjr,

Congrats on harvesting a nice Buck! I am sure that he will make for some real good eating! Bet your having tenderloins this morning with the eggs. I am going out this morning to sight in my' new T/C Triumph Bone Collector .50 caliber with new Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40mm Camo Scope and my' new stainless Remington Model 700 XCR Rifle in 7mm Magnum which I outfitted with a Leupold Vari-X III Tactical 4.5x14x50mm Scope. I hope there is not too much snow at the Bubbling Springs Rifle Range way up in Cocke County!

I am with you on the folks up north! My' heart goes out for them and hope that recover soon. I asked for a roll call from the members that were affected by Sandy but with phone lines, power and roads being out, we might not get any word on them for several weeks.

Frank

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21278

Thanks, Frank- I was using my old trusty CVA .50 cal on this guy. The wound showing is the exit wound; I busted him right behind the L shoulder while he was quartering away from me.

Now I need to get a couple of does...

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21289

Nice old mature Buck! Congrats Whit! I've only been out a few times so far, but am off work for the next ten days and plan on being out there a LOT. The Ohio rut will be kicking in pretty good during this time. The seeking phase is always during this time here in my part of Ohio. I'm excited to get out and hunt, but really it is just good to get a break from work... I actually got out tonight after I got off work. Didn't see a thing, but just really enjoyed the peace and tranquility of God's great creation. The rain from Sandy finally let up this afternoon. Maybe by saturday I'll be able to hear something walking through the leaves. It's pretty wet in the woods right now.

I talked to Billy the other night and was thrilled to hear that he will be able to bring his son Caleb up hunt during Ohio's youth gun season in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking foreward to that and hope to get some scouted out for him by then, but just look foreward to the visit of old friends.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21290

Nice Buck there Whit... Congrats !

Muzzleloader season opens here this coming Saturday. Trying to talk Cole in to trying out my Black Knight 50 Cal... It is a nice smoke pole and has a 4-12 50mm Tasco scope on it. Like the .308 remmington, it is a bit to heavy for him so he will have to use a rest to shoot from.

Frank - we had some nice deer stew (cooked in crockpot) day before yesterday.

I ended up using some of your suggestoins and some of my wife's too - to simplify it a bit and it turned out really good.

I used the bulk of the tenderloin meat in the dish. I cut it up in to 1/2\" thick little tenderloin steaks (cut across the grain). Seasoned that some with salt, pepper, onion flakes, and garlic powder, then browned on both sides good in a skillet with a little cooking oil seasoned with a spoonfull of bacon fat. Then I put about a 1/2 cup of water in the skillet and covered and let it cook on low for 10 minutes.

I then poured all of that from the skillet into the crockpot, and my wife added a onion/mushroom soup mix (that she uses on her beef roast), and we added potatoes and carrots, Celery (cut up in 1/2\" thick slices). I added a couple TBS or Worchestershire sauce, more garlic powder, salt, pepper and Cooked it on high for about 45 minutes, and then turned down to medium for another 7 hours.

It was quite simple, and turned out real nice. My kids and wife ate it up (which is a real testimony for a venison dish).

The potatoes and carrots were especially good - my kids were fighting over who would get the last potato :-)

Here's to more good venison dishes for all of us this fall !

TNhunter

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21291

Nice Buck Whit!!!!!!

5Prong, Billy and Caleb are going to love our big corn fed Ohio deer. I used to hunt Licking and Muskingum county not to far from your neck of the woods. The deer sure are nice and healthy.

Tn & Frank, your post are making me hungry.

Good luck fellas,
Latt

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21293

TNhunter,

I hope that you can get Cole to go with you as it is always nice to have a partner while in the woods or fields! I hope to get my grandsons into Hunter Education/Safety Courses over the next couple of years and get them hunting with me. They want to go hunting but it is hard with their schedule and mine as well as knowing when I can or cannot go due to my back problems. Hopefully, I will be able to take them with me just to get a taste of it, they won't be carrying a gun, just tagging along with old Grandpa! Besides, my daughters want me to take someone along to help me out of the woods or get help if my' back was to go totally on the blitz.

It sounds like the stew turned out great! It is great that your wife is an experienced experimenter when it comes to cooking! My mom was that way and I must have gotten it from her. I have this knack where I can pull down all of the spices and tell you everything that will go in what you are cooking and what won't. Should have saved some of those tenderloins for those snacks I gave you the recipe for! They make fine eating on a crisp morning hunt!

Latt,

Yep, I am sitting here writing with my' mouth a watering and stomach growling! Thanks, I hope to get a nice Buck in the location where Hugh and myself went Ginseng scouting. I have been all over those mountains and have never seen that much deer sign and trails as I did in that location, in all of the years I have hunted there. I got the T/C Triumph Bone Collector sighted in yesterday but not the Remington 700 XCR in 7mm Magnum! A 50's to early 60'ish couple showed up and apparently did not know how things work on a Public Rifle Range. They kept walking over to shoot the 25 yard target and would stay and stay and stay there shooting without regard that we had to shoot as well. To make matters worse, a Bear dog (looked like a cross between a Blue Tick and a Walker) came down off the mountain and everytime someone would shoot, he would take out across the Range looking for the Bear that he thought we had shot. LOL!!! It was a little funny and annoying at the same time. We spent 30 minutes trying to catch him and we were finally able to corral him, put a leash on him and tie him to one guy's truck. We couldn't call the owner as 1 digit in the phone number was missing and besides there is no cell phone reception there whatsoever. The owner came by a little later, picked him up and was amused at the story we told him about what the dog kept doing!

Frank

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21305

Congrats on the buck.I cant wait to hunt myself.I think that if it was't for deer season coming in right behind seng season us sengers would go CRAZY!!!!:blink: I hope to see you fellas do as well on deer season s you did senging this year...Ihpoe ya'll post pics of your bucks.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21312

Thanks to all for the positive comments!

5Prong- good luck to you on you hunting as well. TNHunter- since opening day is today.. good luck out there this am. Here in NC, we are one week into Muzzle season. Hunstsman53- have you considered getting out there in a permanent stand? That won't require to much from that back of yours.

As for me, I'm headed out in just a few minutes this am. Was going to join a buddy, however he can't make it today. Here's to a whole slew on new photos posted later today!

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 413 guests and no members online

Login