2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is this plant?

What is this plant? 11 years 6 months ago #19982

Someone told my grandfather and I that in the hollow of our hunting camp, there is wild ginseng growing. I have researched both ginseng and its look a likes in PA. It doesn't seem to be any of the 5 common look a likes but I still am not confident that it is ginseng. So I would like to know, what is the plant that we have found?
The things that make me think it is ginseng, are as followed. It grows on shady hills in sandy soil alongside ferns and sometimes mountain laurel. It has the leaf shape, size and layout of ginseng. Some of the plants are also turning completely yellow. It has three prongs that all connect at the same point on the stem. The roots have rings and stick above the ground a little bit.
The things that make me think it isn't ginseng are. It seems too abundant in some areas. Even with all the plants I have seen, non have more then three prongs, and non of them have a red berry on them. The roots also seem too long and not fat enough.
Here are some pictures I snapped of the plant in question. What do you think it is?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What is this plant? 11 years 6 months ago #19983

This is the other picture. Don't know how to put 2 pictures in one reply on this forum, sorry.
Attachments:

Re:What is this plant? 11 years 6 months ago #19985

I wish I could be more helpful but I am not fimilar with that plant in your picture. What I do know is that it is not ginseng. There are many very good pictures of ginseng on this forum as not only a seedling and younger plant, but many mature plants as well. Good luck!

Re:What is this plant? 11 years 6 months ago #19998

That's called Sarsaparilla your in the right spot seng usually grows near it

Re:What is this plant? 11 years 6 months ago #20015

Yup...sarsaparilla.

I think they are neat plants and usually keep one or two growing in the corner of my woodland gardens or even my raised beds.

Re:What is this plant? 11 years 6 months ago #20021

Didn't know what that fools seng was till the other day. Looked it up and seems it has several uses.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 573 guests and no members online

Login