2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Storing ginseng?

Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21200

Hey guys. I had a couple questions to ask you long time sangers and dealers.

I have a certain price range I want to sell my ginseng at, and if it doesn't reach that price this year Can I store ginseng, and if so how, AND for how long will it keep quality?

Its my first time ever doing this lovely addiction and I only managed to rake in around 2 pounds this year dry. And I figure if it doesnt get to a nice price range I might as well keep it until I feel I get my moneys worth. + I could add it to my next years pile ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21201

I am no expert on storing roots . But this being a drought year prices are exceptional .Best sell into this market store roots when they are below $300.00 range . Cardboard barrels store roots well. Good luck !

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21202

I use shoe box then stick them down in a cedar chest.Now im not for sure but I had a oldtimer tell me to put it in a freezer bag and keep it in the freezer.

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21203

I wouldn't recommend it but I stored some Ginseng roots on the top shelf of a closet for 3 years! The closet is not effected by moisture, excessive heat and excessive cold and the Ginseng roots were kept in a open box top. I did not store it because of the price but because they was so little of it that I wanted to dig more to add to the pile before selling! The funny thing was that Dealer/Buyer asked if some of the Ginseng roots were from last year and I said yes (I just didn't say what year :blush: :). He still gave me the highest going price based on a pound as they all were quality dug Ginseng roots!

Frank

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21205

Thanks guys for the helpful info.

and yea I think my hopes are a little high seeing as the prices even right now are really good. Just that I have just 2 pounds and I really would like to hang onto it for as long as possible. I was just really curious as to how long you can store it encase prices drop and dont come back.

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21211

In the freezer is the best way to store ginseng, it will keep the bugs from getting into it also.

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21218

bhallginseng wrote:

In the freezer is the best way to store ginseng, it will keep the bugs from getting into it also.

How long did you or do you think that Ginseng roots can be stored in the freezer? I wonder as anything stored long-term in a freezer is subject to freezer burn! Also, unless the Ginseng roots are totally void of moisture, vacuum sealed and flash frozen, they will be subject to ice crystallization on their' outside which will result in much harsher freezer burn. Even when placed in a quality ziplock type storage bag and placed in a freezer, the roots are subject to absorb some moisture due to microscopic flaws (gaps or holes) in the structure of the ziplock bag and this moisture will crystallize on the outside of the roots and thus cause freezer burn. And by the way, the moisture is introduced into the freezer every time that you open it and it's evidence can be seen by the mist or fog that you often see when you open the freezer door. It is same as seeing your' breath in the cold air. Meteorologically, air that is warm is the same as or acts like High Pressure and air that is cold is the same as or acts like Low Pressure. High Pressure always flows to Low Pressure and in this case, warm air that contains moisture will invade the cold freezer environment.

I hope that you understand, that I am in no way trying to put down the freezer idea in promotion of my' closet storage! I think that both are bad ideas but out of the two, in my honest opinion, the freezer idea is worse! If anything would be a good storage solution, it would be to insure that the roots are totally void of moisture, vacuum seal them in one bag then vacuum seal the bag and roots in another bag and store them in a cool (not cold) and dry location.

Frank

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21219

I agree, in the freezer in sealed plastic bags is best. However, they need to be protected from being broken up.

A word of caution though....keeping ginseng past the open season is a violation in most if not all states. Here, you must either have the ginseng certified or otherwise registered with the Division of Wildlife.

Also, remember, if you tell a dealer it is the current year's harvest, you are falsifying official records and committing a crime.

Aside from all that, it is a major paperwork and licensing nightmare to export a small amount of last season's root this year. For that reason, and the fact the ginseng is not fresh, expect a serious penalty in price for year old root.

I am not going to get into a debate about if it should be this way, or if the average dealer can tell year old root or not. Only that this is fact...take it for what it is worth and understand there are consequences if you get caught not following the law related to the regulation of ginseng.

I just don't want to see anyone jambed up for a few dollars.

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21224

BCastle,

No debate here, just the facts! Unless the Laws have been recently changed in Tennessee and I don't think that they have, a digger can hold Ginseng roots over to the next year without having them certified and without penalty. I do not know the Ginseng Laws of other States but some probably prohibit the holding-over of Ginseng roots unless they are certified but I think that all require that you have to be a Dealer to obtain the certification!

Frank

Re:Storing ginseng? 11 years 5 months ago #21351

Freezer is best. It will not get bugs in it and it will not turn the root a yellowish color. If stored in your closet you do risk the chance of bugs and it may turn a yellowish color. I have never had any freezer burn or such on any ginseng I have ever kept in the freezer. Do want you want to, Im just giving you my opinion and I know it works. thanks

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 462 guests and no members online

Login