* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finding ginseng

Finding ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #23499

Hello,

The past couple of days I have went out scouting for ginseng in preparation for this up coming Season here in middle TN. However haven't had much luck. The past few years I've done all my digging on family members land however this year Im wanting to expand. I'm also curious as to what I need to be looking for in trying to find a new good spot. Thanks a lot!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Finding ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #23516

Welcome to the forum!

Using the search on this site will assist you a lot. there is a wealth of information here, and a whole group of experienced growers... and the resulting knowledge-base is really fantastic.

What state are you in? Please don't tell me that you are in n \"altered state\" smile-I'm kidding....

Re:Finding ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #23544

mshirley34 wrote:

Hello,

The past couple of days I have went out scouting for ginseng in preparation for this up coming Season here in middle TN. However haven't had much luck. The past few years I've done all my digging on family members land however this year Im wanting to expand. I'm also curious as to what I need to be looking for in trying to find a new good spot. Thanks a lot!

First off, you want to look for fairly old growth hardwood forests that are large enough to provide a good shade canopy of Ginseng. Look for rolling fairly thick wooded hills that rise up close to 100 feet or higher than the valleys and hollows as well as large mountains that mainly face to the Northwest, North, Northeast and even East. However, even some heavier forested hills and mountains facing Southeast, South, Southwest and West with year round streams, creeks or springs flowing through their' hollows, will sometimes provide enough shade and moisture to maintain good Ginseng growth. Wooded river and lake bluffs are very good places to look for Ginseng. Also, don't just resign yourself to look from the bottom to about halfway up a ridge or hill as Ginseng can and will often be found growing right on the top of the ridge and all the way down to the bottom or hollow, if the right conditions exist for it. Since you have already been finding Ginseng on properties of relatives, this is a good sign that there may be Ginseng on neighboring properties. This is a good place to start, especially if you know the neighbors and have a good relationship with them! When you go to a new area to check it out, look for companion plants of Ginseng, a good hardwood canopy with very little if any Pine trees. While Ginseng can survive in forests with Pine trees and especially so if the Ginseng was there before the Pines, mostly hardwood forests are more conducive to their' survival.

Good luck and if possible give us updates to your successes as well as your non-successes!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Who's Online

We have 186 guests and no members online

Login