* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Storing dried roots for another year

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 7 months ago #24206

BCastle wrote:

huntsman53 wrote:

I am glad that in Tennessee, that as diggers, we can choose to hold Ginseng over to the next year and do not have to have it certified! What does it really matter or who even really gives a sh%t when it was dug, it only matters when it was sold and exported out of the State. That is what counts, \"When it leaves the State\"!!!!!!! It sounds like more BS bureaucracy that was only written to charge Ginseng Dealers and probably others more money. If we did have such a stupid damn rule or Law in Tennessee, you really don't want to know what would happen if they tried to come into my' home to check for uncertified Ginseng!:angry:

Frank

Well see Frank, that is really part of the issue. I understand your point completely...and actually sympathize with you.

But, administratively, they base the laws on a number of things including the harvest each year. If you or I or anyone is holding ginseng from one year to the next, the data of ginseng harvested each year is necessarily in error. The fact that they do not know by how much is the issue. The administrative folks at the USF&WS will absolutely err on the side of caution and move to shut down wild harvest if they cannot demonstratively prove that ginseng is not negatively impacted by continued harvest.

You are right, I see nothing that prohibits a digger in TN from holding uncertified root. But, I'm sure that In TN, you are required to report your harvests and the year in which it was harvested. This is a federal requirement forced on the states in order to be able to harvest wild ginseng at all. Misrepresenting root from previous years is not dishonest at best and a code violation at worst.

Another huge issue is the number of paperwork violations and illegal harvesting cases which show up. These go against all of us. We need to comply with the law in order to prove that ginseng is not being harmed by continued harvest.

Brad,

This Federal requirement is not on the Tennessee Ginseng Law Books that I can find! Also, there has only been one time when a Ginseng Dealer ever asked me if any of my' Ginseng roots were dug the previous year and I have never been asked for a record of my harvests.

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 7 months ago #24231

Carl we know that none of the hundreds of ginseng dealers make any money and are in the game for the love of ginseng-BS.they hold the cards close and keep the digger in the dark whenever possible.oh in NY you have to be a dealer to get ginseng certified

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 7 months ago #24233

Yellowscarf, I hear where you are coming from. I don't have a problem with a dealer making money. I have a problem when false information is presented. Certification of the ginseng held over each year is for documentation purposes to ensure the proper lb count is documented for each state. It is also to benefit the digger so if for some reason they were to have their house searched they would be legal. It also ensures that they get paid for it. It doesn't benefit the digger or the ginseng population for that matter if a digger certifies ginseng properly and then a dealer is able to pay next to nothing for it or possibly not even buy at all. It would be wasted ginseng and depleting the ginseng population. I rest easy at night knowing that the majority of people have common sense and can protect their interests...

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 7 months ago #24278

So, how do you force someone to buy something they do not want? (unless of course you are a the President *rollinghiseyes*)

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1279 guests and no members online

Login