2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Small old roots

Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24284

Yet another question! Maybe this one would be best answered by a dealer. How desirable are small but really old roots? I'm finding a lot of 30+ year old plants that have small bulb shaped roots. These really long growth stems probably weigh as much as the rest of root :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24285

Not worth as much as big older ginseng. I think that regional prices reflect this. For example, Tennessee ginseng does not bring as high a price as New York or Vermont ginseng. On average those Tennessee roots just arent as big. I am sure there are some exceptions, but we aretalking averages here. From the pics you posted they do look pretty small, but I have no Idea what average Mississippi roots are like to be honest. The long age stems never hurt though....

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24286

Miss, 30 is pretty old but not real old. However if you get something real old, 50+, try and sell it alone. There are buyers out there for them despite the size. I've got people messaging me about an oldie every year or two it seems if you post them here. I sold this one for $60 a few years ago. 62 you I think.
Attachments:

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24287

Big and old is what you want though as 5 said. This was 30+ and 4.something 0z.:cheer:
Attachments:

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24289

WOW Maya, that root is huge, especially in relationship to the plant top size. What a root!!!!
Latt

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24300

I wonder if growing under oak trees had anything to do with the small plant size. Obviously some good soil to produce a root like that. Maya was that on a south facing slope? I hardly ever find oaks growing on north slopes where I live in NY.

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24307

Find a lot of smaller roots that are 50 plus where I dig. Wish I had a buyer for individual sale!

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24310

It all depends like the others have said. But, there is indeed a specific market for the older, ball ginseng like the one in Maya's picture.

...to give you an idea, I've seen CULTIVATED 4 year old roots that were that basic size and shape -roughly a 1-1 1/2 inch ball...go for about $125/lb when the rest of the crop was going for $28-30/lb.

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24318

I think it was the angle of that first pic, not a small plant at all! This was it in the ground.
Attachments:

Re:Small old roots 10 years 7 months ago #24320

Also look on the ground next to the banana! Another 4+ oz root with a big ole top. One of these tops was the one next to the banana. That root grew up into the crevasse on the right. Everything was big in there, plant and root. West facing steep slope in mostly maple and beech, a few oaks.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 135 guests and no members online

Login