2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27054

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Thank you for posting a reply on this subject as the others said at least you did do that. And you have every right sir to your opinion, but you have certainly not understood mine.

I feel as though you misinterpret my conversation so I will further explain in better detail what I am saying. And as you I will not post on here again concerning this matter.

1st - You may not have been speaking of me when you said some one might as well have called you a low life but if so then I want you to know , I did not refer to you as a low life in any form but stated my opinion and thoughts of that show. The one thing that I made sure to say concerning the dealer was this ,,,The dealer I will speak no bad thing of his person because I do not know him. And maybe he thought this would help his business by the advertisement and exposure of it but that is far from the truth. -- I may be wrong about that end part according to what you replied about that we know different people im sure.

Now

Bear with me in my folly I do not try to boast in any thing but since I am thought to be jealous I will correct that. Jealousy or sour grapes is as far off as the east is from the west I guarantee you that I do well (forgive me I do not wish to boast in myself but feel I should say this) and I need nor want nothing of no one else`s. I have been approached relentlessly from Producers wanting me to do just as this show represents as for as 6 years back and I save all of the letters and no#s and it was a certain no so again no jealousy at all. I to have done Korean documenters and I am well known in Korea so no not there either no jealously, I wanted this to be understood or I would not have even wrote such as that because it sounds like boasting to me nothing more. What God gives me I appreciate and do not need to boast nor feel jealous it is not a competition to me at all. This is something that I truly love. It is not just business to me.

Below is why I wrote the letter above not jealousy.

The show was indeed filming diggers digging on posted and marked lands. Showing them scared of getting caught with every step they took. Showing them running from game wardens because they where portraying digging with out right on private posted lands, thus sitting a terrible example to all people who watch that show and to A land owner camping out in the woods shooting a gun to scare off a poacher so that he would not steal his ginseng that belonged to him on his land. And I know the Korean people as good as any one and a show representing all of the above and misleading prices will insult them. I personally could care less if you sell one million or one billion in sales. I have been providing a good income for my family for years but I do not reckon that is relevant any way that was not the point period to the thing that was wrote above that you are referring to that seemed to make you feel a need to speak of grapes and jealousy. What I said and wrote was true when I wrote it and is true now and will be true when this is done and said.

There is a people that love wild ginseng and that buy seed and plant and dig legally who do not trespass neither steal from land owners, parks, etc. and this forum here is a site that many of those people come to and talk with each other and I to am one of them. We believe in being good stewards of the Mountains and teaching others the good and right things concerning the Mountains so if we disagree with a show as this it is not personal to the stars it is personal to us.

And to see a show portray all of those things is not dramatic or good information, but is insulting to the true wild ginseng digger and good stewards and Mountain men of the US and is a insult to every consumer of wild ginseng in this Nation. Telling them that a large portion of the roots that they consume are stole and poached

That was what I mint in my letter and nothing else. And I will mean it from here on and that is my right.

My phone no# is 606-302-1187 if you want to talk further feel free to call me.

Strong Prong wrote:

Hello Everybody ..My name is Tony Coffman of Coffman's Metals the dealer in the show that's the topic of everyone's topic today. I posted earlier and politely asked not to be talked about and gave my view of the show. But I see that wasn't good enough for some and may as well have been called a low life by one guy..
(.......Deleted.......). Stop taking my words out of context ! Not once do I imply that would buy illegal ginseng.
As for my reputation as a dealer in my area I am very confident that my customers understands that this Hollywood and from all the calls that I'm receiving from all over the country everyone else does too.
If it's a documentary you want to see ? I shot one of those for the Korean TV Network while we filmed this show. And encase you were wondering the show was a hit... 2.8 million viewers.
I think what we have here is a case of jealous sour grapes...People watching this show are looking for a dramatic, informative show, not a boring documentary. The narrator spells out the laws on ginseng and what they are doing wrong. It shows Greg replanting berries and the seasons and regulations of each states along with private verses government property.
Like I said earlier..This is not suppose to be a documentary on the history of ginseng because no one other than industry and diggers would watch it.
I will not post further on this matter unless requested..I'm sure you you can call me if need to talk to me.. Watch the show and enjoy it or don't watch it ..Maybe Honey Bo Bo is more to your liking..
And stay tuned and you will see Asian buyers join in the the show along with a million bucks worth in the middle of the floor..How's that for not being worried about losing my markets !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27057

please remove last post did not mean to be disrespectful I apologize

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27062

One Sly Savage wrote:

I'm late to the game on this one as I don't have cable but when my wife and I saw the commercial for this show two weeks ago at my parents house we both exclaimed, \"oh crap!\" what good can come from a show like this?...we've only been growing for a couple years...there isn't much a seng culture around so we haven't had any concerns security wise as far as how or where we plant in the woods that we own, we figured anonymity, and a public unaware of seng and its value would suffice..that's over now....here come signs, fences, and controlled access, might tick off some neighbors and affect deer hunting....apart from potentially destroying our business is the show any good?

Here's my opinion of the show.

If you are an honest digger, grower, or buyer of ginseng, you probably think the show is bad, as it inaccurately portrays the ginseng industry.

If you are a illegal digger of ginseng, you probably think the show is bad, as it advertises to others a way you make dishonest money.

If you are warden, or in law enforcement, you probably think the show is bad, as it will likely cause new people to make an attempt at illegally digging ginseng and selling it.

Now, if you never heard of ginseng before, and you just want to sit and watch a goofy TV show that is partially scripted, with bad actors, and wrong information, than you may be entertained. I would venture a guess that anyone who had good intentions by appearing on the show have probably been edited and \"hollywoodized\" to the point where they may regret it by seasons end.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27063

Mortis,
I'll give you a thumbs up and Amen on that post. You have said it as well and plain as it could be put.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27069

We mods are working on the post removal requests. Thanks for your patience.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27071

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Agreed well said

Mortis wrote:

One Sly Savage wrote:

I'm late to the game on this one as I don't have cable but when my wife and I saw the commercial for this show two weeks ago at my parents house we both exclaimed, \"oh crap!\" what good can come from a show like this?...we've only been growing for a couple years...there isn't much a seng culture around so we haven't had any concerns security wise as far as how or where we plant in the woods that we own, we figured anonymity, and a public unaware of seng and its value would suffice..that's over now....here come signs, fences, and controlled access, might tick off some neighbors and affect deer hunting....apart from potentially destroying our business is the show any good?

Here's my opinion of the show.

If you are an honest digger, grower, or buyer of ginseng, you probably think the show is bad, as it inaccurately portrays the ginseng industry.

If you are a illegal digger of ginseng, you probably think the show is bad, as it advertises to others a way you make dishonest money.

If you are warden, or in law enforcement, you probably think the show is bad, as it will likely cause new people to make an attempt at illegally digging ginseng and selling it.

Now, if you never heard of ginseng before, and you just want to sit and watch a goofy TV show that is partially scripted, with bad actors, and wrong information, than you may be entertained. I would venture a guess that anyone who had good intentions by appearing on the show have probably been edited and \"hollywoodized\" to the point where they may regret it by seasons end.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27077

Many of the members here know that a new Episode of Appalachian Outlaws will air tonight on the History Channel. Many of us (myself included) see/view this new Reality TV Show as a threat to the Ginseng Plant that we all love and to our way of life. It doesn't matter if you just dig, dig and plant (practice good Stewardship), just grow and/or buy and sell Ginseng, we all have some interest in it and worry of the effects that this new Show will have/cause on us and the plant. Due to this, there has been some very spirited discussions in the some of the postings on the subject. In light of this, if any of you watch this new Episode (and I am sure many will!) and it triggers anger and passion in you, I ask that we each take time to calm down, take a few extra breaths and be civil to any of the other members in your postings/responses. While we may not agree with other's take on the Show, we all should respect other member's opinions and feelings!

We (the Moderators) don't like to have to warn Members about the content in their' postings or even edit or delete postings but will do so if the content is inappropriate and a clear violation of the Forum's Rules. Futhermore, if things were to really get out of hand, Threads may have to be \"Locked\" or at the worst, deleted entirely from the forums. We ask, hope for and appreciate everyones cooperation to keep things civil!

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27081

huntsman53 wrote:

Many of the members here know that a new Episode of Appalachian Outlaws will air tonight on the History Channel. Many of us (myself included) see/view this new Reality TV Show as a threat to the Ginseng Plant that we all love and to our way of life. It doesn't matter if you just dig, dig and plant (practice good Stewardship), just grow and/or buy and sell Ginseng, we all have some interest in it and worry of the effects that this new Show will have/cause on us and the plant. Due to this, there has been some very spirited discussions in the some of the postings on the subject. In light of this, if any of you watch this new Episode (and I am sure many will!) and it triggers anger and passion in you, I ask that we each take time to calm down, take a few extra breaths and be civil to any of the other members in your postings/responses. While we may not agree with other's take on the Show, we all should respect other member's opinions and feelings!

We (the Moderators) don't like to have to warn Members about the content in their' postings or even edit or delete postings but will do so if the content is inappropriate and a clear violation of the Forum's Rules. Futhermore, if things were to really get out of hand, Threads may have to be \"Locked\" or at the worst, deleted entirely from the forums. We ask, hope for and appreciate everyones cooperation to keep things civil!

Thanks!

Frank

lol, Frank I cant make no promises. :woohoo:
It might be off to BANNED Camp for me...

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27082

huntsman53 wrote:

Thanks!

Frank

lol, Frank I cant make no promises. :woohoo:
It might be off to BANNED Camp for me...

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 3 months ago #27083

I'm curious how many new members will join the site here during the next 8 months, after seeing the show and becoming curious about plant we love to hunt.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Who's Online

We have 371 guests and no members online

Login