2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27084

Fellows,
I just watched the last week episode again and I caught something that I had missed before and maybe some of the other buyers could comment on this. When Mr. Coffman gets the order on the phone he says that \"he just got a $120,000 order from New York. Then he says in a minute that he needs \"200lbs. of wet ginseng\". He then follows this up with offers to diggers giving them $550.00 per pound to fill the order. After dividing this up it leaves Mr. Coffman with a profit of $50.00 per pound. Does this sound like what most buyers would get on an order?

Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27085

K_duce wrote:

huntsman53 wrote:

Many of the members here know that a new Episode of Appalachian Outlaws will air tonight on the History Channel. Many of us (myself included) see/view this new Reality TV Show as a threat to the Ginseng Plant that we all love and to our way of life. It doesn't matter if you just dig, dig and plant (practice good Stewardship), just grow and/or buy and sell Ginseng, we all have some interest in it and worry of the effects that this new Show will have/cause on us and the plant. Due to this, there has been some very spirited discussions in the some of the postings on the subject. In light of this, if any of you watch this new Episode (and I am sure many will!) and it triggers anger and passion in you, I ask that we each take time to calm down, take a few extra breaths and be civil to any of the other members in your postings/responses. While we may not agree with other's take on the Show, we all should respect other member's opinions and feelings!

We (the Moderators) don't like to have to warn Members about the content in their' postings or even edit or delete postings but will do so if the content is inappropriate and a clear violation of the Forum's Rules. Futhermore, if things were to really get out of hand, Threads may have to be \"Locked\" or at the worst, deleted entirely from the forums. We ask, hope for and appreciate everyones cooperation to keep things civil!

Thanks!

Frank

lol, Frank I cant make no promises. :woohoo:
It might be off to BANNED Camp for me...

LOL!! Hope not!

Frank

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27086

I have intentionally stayed out of this conversation. First, I'm very busy. Secondly, I've been working every night so have not seen this show. I have already said I do not like the premise.

However, to asnwer Mortis, I have been getting a considerable number of calls and emails from folks starting to get interested in gisneng. Some from traditional ginseng areas, and others from states I would never consider being a \"ginseng state.\"

I must also say, that I had unfortunately also seen my share of pictures of dug up hickory sprouts also.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27088

BCastle,
lol Hickory Sprouts, love the humor. What sells for more Hickory Sprouts, Sarsaparilla or Virginia Creeper. lol

Hey all you newbiees looking to make a fortune after watching the new TV series \"Appalachian Outcast\". This is what ginseng looks like below: It's nickname is Virginia Creeper. It has a very viney stem and the root is very small. Will take a lot of effort but you can dig a lot of root when you find a good patch. I am sure you can sell this to some of the ginseng buyers on here from WV.
Anyway here is the pic in the link below of what you should be digging. Do not eat any yourself tho. Make sure your ginseng buyer confirms you have the right stuff. Anyway here is the link below of what you should be digging. Sometimes this stuff is all around.

www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/virginia_creeper.htm

Latt

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27089

LOL Latt thats just cold man!

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27091

I haven't posted in a while but I have been following along. I don't know what to say about the show I cant bring myself to watch it yet. I just hope that if it does bring a lot of traffic to this site that people will read up and really learn what ginseng and proper stewardship is really all about.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27094

I just hope that if it does bring a lot of traffic to this site that people will read up and really learn what ginseng and proper stewardship is really all about

I think this may be one of the best ideas that I've heard since we found out about the History Channel show. If someone still wanted to contact the A/E Network and give them your thoughts, this would be a great one to give to them. If they would just mention or link this website and tell that anyone can learn the proper way to grow and harvest this plant as well as insuring the future of ginseng in the Appalachians.

This idea came from a very young person and he could speak volumes to new young potential ginseng growers and diggers.
Thank you Wildgrower for your thoughts.
Hugh

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27106

Latt wrote:

BCastle,
lol Hickory Sprouts, love the humor. What sells for more Hickory Sprouts, Sarsaparilla or Virginia Creeper. lol

Hey all you newbiees looking to make a fortune after watching the new TV series \"Appalachian Outcast\". This is what ginseng looks like below: It's nickname is Virginia Creeper. It has a very viney stem and the root is very small. Will take a lot of effort but you can dig a lot of root when you find a good patch. I am sure you can sell this to some of the ginseng buyers on here from WV.
Anyway here is the pic in the link below of what you should be digging. Do not eat any yourself tho. Make sure your ginseng buyer confirms you have the right stuff. Anyway here is the link below of what you should be digging. Sometimes this stuff is all around.

www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/virginia_creeper.htm

Latt

THATS RIGHT AND IT LOOKS LIKE EPISODE 2 HAS FOLLOWED IN THE SAME FOOTSTEPS AS 1 AND WILL HELP TO ELIMINATE THE FOREST FLOOR OF INDIAN TURNIP...LOVE THOSE SEEDS, DID EVERYONE ELSE CATCH THAT?

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27108

Strong Prong you sold out my friend, you sold out. You are exploiting something that is sacred to some people. Hollywood and morals never mix. Too glorify an exaggerated and negative outlook on ginseng culture is wrong.

Re:Ginseng Reality Show coming to a holler near you 10 years 2 months ago #27109

OK, I know this is a TV show for entertainment but I have never been so indirectly insulted with this mess in all my life. Im having to explain to my woman how ridiculous these idiots are so she doesn't get this crazy mess mixed up with what it's all about.

How in the world can a digger, outdoorsman, woodsman or dealer be involved with this show and not feel like an idiot or a sell-out? Good Lord.. could these Hollywood peckerwoods not have enough sense to hire a consultant or advisor on something they knew nothing about to at least make it believable. Surely, some individual could have helped them out in all the ramblings they did in these areas.

Where is the Department of Natural Resources or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife during this? What better platform would they have than a one minute ad to explain the importance of conservation and awareness of this endangered plant. You know if a digger knows of this show then he will watch it......Until he finally gets his belly full of it.

I don't get where sympathizing with illegal poaching became entertainment. Why not dramatize the elaborate and lucrative life of natives in \"Ivory Poaching Africa\" or \"Snow Leopard Slaughter\".
How politically incorrect and wrong would that be? How many animal and wildlife groups would come down on a network in that case? Apparently, it's more entertaining to document the illegal raping of America's plantlife, sucker punch the culture of a bunch of Hillbillys while using the first non-acting,ridiculous people you came across to do your show.

On a side note: That long haired \"grower\" makes me want to do nothing but slap the sh*t out of him for acting like the BIGGEST idiot.

You know, to me,It's not all about one plant that I am just concerned. It's about it all,Flora,Fauna and the Wild in general. You have seen it the same as I have. The spaces of my youth I have seen clear-cut,sub-divided,sold and whittled away. I hold what I am able to enjoy and use dear because I remember what once was, what's gone, I see what's coming, and it's not armchair entertainment to me.

Hillhopper

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Who's Online

We have 442 guests and no members online

Login