2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts?

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27126

Frank if you would just ask me I explain and you wouldn't have to guess...That episode if you remember ..I went to Rufus and told him I needed 30 lbs. of semi select 15 yr root and up fast for a old customer of mine. I would pay a premium of $1000.00 for it.
They shot miles of footage of different customers at different times of the year . Most had nothing to do with the show and I'll take your word at the $800.00 price because that was a common price for average .
Greg( Georgia Boy) shot two times at my shop..one with fresh and one with dry.. And and the film crew would come back and have me redo my line sometimes for no reason other than audio problems they would say.. Battery died, shirt rubbed , plane or car or warehouse noise.
I didn't know Greg helped with my 30 lb order..don't think he did. He helped filled a fresh order and another late in the season.
But I'm not in the editing room in Burbank , Ca. ..I don't know what's going to be showing anymore than you guys do and of course they are editing for the highest entertainment value.
I'm also going to post one thing I put on a Facebook Appalachian Outlaws website about conservation and what to expect from the show ..that is if I can figure out how to. I am not that proficient at that sort of thing.
Btw...I paid $225 to $350 for fresh and the $550 was paid for a handful of selected. But no one asked me..you just attacked me !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27127

Sorry I could not get it to upload so I will have to type it out again later when time permits.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27128

Strong Prong, I am sure you are a good and honest fella. As a mater of fact I think you are probably the most likeable fella on the show. Don't care much for the other characters.

If I were to guess I would surmise what we are seeing on TV is a far cry from what you thought it would be. Not making excuses for you. I just bet deep down inside you wish you wouldn't have done the show. Perhaps I am wrong but that's my guess. Not looking for an answer from you because I am not looking to prove I am right.
Just a thought from what I have seen on TV and on Wildgrown thus far.

I think this show is bad for ginseng all the way around.
Latt

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27130

Let me say that I had fun shooting the show and the camera crew and production guys were very nice folks...They shot this show with 4 different film crews and I know they shot miles of footage . They take that stuff back to Burbank , Ca and edit a story out of it to come up with the most sensational , entertaining story they most possible can.
No laws were actually broken while filming . I do see all the inaccurate stuff in the show that everyone else does... And I do cringe . But I signed up for the show I told a couple of fellow buyers that they are going to get someone anyway so why not me.
My goal was to two fold..to bring to light an old time pastime that help build America that most folks never heard of and yes make ginseng products more popular. I know that puts more strain on the plant but if the government would just get off the fence and start that Johnny Appleseed planting program , there would be more ginseng out there than when Columbus first landed. Second reason was it sounded like fun and I might gain business from it not only ginseng but my scrap metal side as well.
I don't approve of glamorized trespassing and I was please that they changed their tune in the second episode and even cracked down on guys digging young plants. Truth is the TV filming company was paid a couple million dollars to spend two or three months filming something they had no clue about. I helped them as much as I could but I have a business to run and did not go out into the woods. They developed story lines later. They never intended to shoot a documentary and never used any of my best diggers simply because they knew they would frustrate them by filming a show instead of filming someone ginsenging. This about doing a show about a industry that's unique to most people and making it as exciting as they possibly can and fill it with drama like a soap opera to keep people coming back for more.
Take it for what it is..Folks I have met Phil & Si Roberson ( Si has never watched one of his own shows ) and I watched Pawn Stars filmed out in Las Vegas..it doesn't matter..they are all the same. Orchestrated ...to give the maximum entertainment value.
Personally I don't think any harm will come to the ginseng from this show. I am getting calls from all over the United States telling me they like the show and asking me if it grows in their neck of the woods and some want to ship me their ginseng from other states. Others want to know if I really was paying a thousand a pound for fresh ginseng..sigh !
I can assure you I have personally spoken with each person about the laws and where it grows and the reality of ginseng pricing.
Once more I ask just to watch or don't watch the show within the right context ..it's not a documentary...and I wish I was there to have guided them a little in the editing room so they would know the difference between dry and fresh anyway. But you have to give them their due..they make it entertaining. .made me laugh !

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27131

The show was entertaining, if not completely honest and factually correct. I wonder how many buyers are getting raked over the coals because they didn't pay the diggers enough money? I give Strong Prong credit for coming on here and telling his story, something he didn't have to do.

To add to my comment to what I think; more people will go the woods to \"get rich\" putting more pressure on the plants by digging much too early in the life of the plant. This will bring more regulation, and higher prices for what will be harvested, wait for it. And buy cameras, Cabelas just had a sale. You will need to protect what you have more than before.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27132

Strong Prong wrote:

Frank if you would just ask me I explain and you wouldn't have to guess...That episode if you remember ..I went to Rufus and told him I needed 30 lbs. of semi select 15 yr root and up fast for a old customer of mine. I would pay a premium of $1000.00 for it.
They shot miles of footage of different customers at different times of the year . Most had nothing to do with the show and I'll take your word at the $800.00 price because that was a common price for average .
Greg( Georgia Boy) shot two times at my shop..one with fresh and one with dry.. And and the film crew would come back and have me redo my line sometimes for no reason other than audio problems they would say.. Battery died, shirt rubbed , plane or car or warehouse noise.
I didn't know Greg helped with my 30 lb order..don't think he did. He helped filled a fresh order and another late in the season.
But I'm not in the editing room in Burbank , Ca. ..I don't know what's going to be showing anymore than you guys do and of course they are editing for the highest entertainment value.
I'm also going to post one thing I put on a Facebook Appalachian Outlaws website about conservation and what to expect from the show ..that is if I can figure out how to. I am not that proficient at that sort of thing.
Btw...I paid $225 to $350 for fresh and the $550 was paid for a handful of selected. But no one asked me..you just attacked me !

Strong Prong,

I did not attack you in my posting and am sorry that you feel this way! I just pointed out a few misrepresentations, false information, false facts and errors in the Show, not you! I know that the folks that hold power in the making of the Show, edit things in and/or to put a spin on it in an attempt to make it more interesting to the audiences. However, as a main player in the Show, you could demand (which might not have a great outcome for you for the future in the Show) or politely ask that they make use of pricing, selling and buying Ginseng roots in a more realistic manner and not the edited overboard versions they are airing on the Show. I worked for the National Weather Service for almost 33 years and during my' career in Weather, I was asked many times to give a story about the weather to Newspapers, Radio Stations and Televisions Stations. I always asked that they would not edit anything out that would take what I said out of context but they often did. I quit granting requests for these stories and told them that it was because they always did this and I would be no part of it as it gave false information to the Public which was their audience and which could be potentially dangerous for the Public. The only difference between you and me, is that you get paid extra while I did not as it was part of my' job. One has to have principles, standards and morals to stand for, to stand by and not see them broke! By the powers behind the Show putting out false prices for Ginseng roots that is saying to the audience that Ginseng roots are fetching more than it really is, it is making Ginseng theft, poaching and illegal digging of it more enticing to those folks that are already prone to these tendencies and to some that may be leaning this way. Truth can be just exciting as falsehoods, if the right spin is put on the script and the scene.

Frank

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27133

Strong Prong wrote:

Sorry I could not get it to upload so I will have to type it out again later when time permits.

Strong Prong,

Just log into the Facebook link for the Show, copy and then paste what you wrote there into a posting here on Wildgrown. No re-typing is necessary unless the page will not allow you to do a copy of the information!

Frank

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27134

Actually Frank you were more fair to me at than some and I just used your posting to answer several questions that was on my mind while I answered your question about how the editing worked. I didn't intend to pick you out as my attacker. I did go into more detail on how things worked in a later posting.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27135

I snapped a screen shot of it and edited it down small ..idk why it wouldn't unload .

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27136

Strong Prong,

I understand and thanks! It is great to have some interaction between someone with a part in the Show and members here on Wildgrown! Are you having to answer questions or possibly defend yourself on any other Ginseng forums? There are several of them that I know of and although I am a member of two, I am mainly a contributing member here.

Frank

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Who's Online

We have 166 guests and no members online

Login