2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa?

When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #27927

This years bumper crop of snow has finally almost given way to an even larger crop of mud. No green in the areas lawns yet. About how soon will we starts seeing the first sprouts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #27934

Pineknot...

Going by tree bloom...

I usually have some bought stratified seed that sprouts up first. Usually about the time my bradford pear tree is in full bloom and my plum trees are past full bloom to starting to leaf some, there are some 3 leafers up (not all) but some early birds are up. For me down here in Southern Middle TN that happens the last week in March. March 18 is as early as I have found any up and they were just tiny sprouts then. Some of them got frost bit and died too.

Then my older stuff 2,3,4 year olds... will start coming up about the time that dogwoods start blooming (which we are just about there now).

Then most of my older stuff (big old roots in my seed producing bed) come up between April 10-20. At that time redbuds are in full bloom and starting to leaf and dogwoods are in full bloom. Your white oaks will be starting to bud out good too... and that is when the creek fish really start to bite.

TNhunter

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #27948

Thanks! Things here in Pa are running late this year. We still have snow on the ground in the shaded areas of the woods. Weather has been improving, but about 2 weeks late.

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #28010

Hi Pine, I'm in northern Pennsylvania, usually it's end of April or beginning of May before I find them sprouting. With the harsh / late winter this year, I expect they will be poppin up 2 weeks later than usual.

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #28015

Nothing here yet In western ny. Ramps just poking through the leaves wild violets blooming, Maple buds still shut tight. I don't want to see any Ginseng yet, we're getting a couple nights of hard freeze this week. I guess the older native plants could handle cold weather or they wouldn't have survived this neck of the woods at all. Last year it was beginning of May before I saw my first seedlings and they kept coming till mid June. I already started spreading Deadline for slugs, just getting a head start on them.
Attachments:

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #28030

Well Ol'Man Winter is visiting again the ground that was clear (except for plow piles) is now snow covered again. I guess the plants get another few days of sleep.

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #28033

O how I love the Snow. Not woke up to a inch of snow n 17 degrees out . this isn't gonna help the flooding any. Man I wish spring would stay. Gotta love NY.
Attachments:

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 11 months ago #28037

My backyard looks very similar. At this point, if I don't have to plow/shovel, I happy as a clam.

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 10 months ago #28462

Took a walk to check one of morel spots and found a nice patch of 3 stem plants.

Re:When will I start seeing sprouting in northern Pa? 9 years 9 months ago #28469

Photos?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Who's Online

We have 807 guests and no members online

Login