2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gone Fishing !!!!

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28232

Concord grapes - tiny grape clusters developing...

Darned late frost got my plumbs, pears and peaches this year - almost no fruit left on those.

My apple tree did set fruit and looks like my grapes are going to do OK.

Black berries looking great.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28233

The bed below is where I put in a new strawberry bed and the far end half of the bed has sweet corn planted in it.

Attachments:

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28234

Here is a pic of my big stout tomato plants that I planted yesterday evening.

The strawberries are spaced out 18\" (according to recommendations for the type), and I space my tomatoes out 3' apart. Give them plenty of room and they will do well.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28235

TN,
That is some mighty fine gardening work and those tomatoes are about as nice as I've seen. They should really produce. I know the feeling about losing the fruit because all of my peaches were killed as well. I really thought that the ginseng would be damaged that was up, but somehow it pulled on out of it. Maybe the fruit trees just needed a rest:( I'm still a little skittish because I don't know if we've had Blackberry Winter yet. They've not bloomed here yet so I'll cringe when the next cold spell hits.
Good luck with you new plantings this Spring.

Hugh

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28238

Hugh...

Sorry to hear that your fruit trees suffered the same.

I looked over both of my peach trees good and found 1 little peach on one of the trees. We have had a great crop of peaches for 4-5 years in a row (since my young trees started producing). Now I have 1 peach on two trees. I am sure going to miss them this year.

On the other hand I have not had a good crop of apples in a couple years and looks like this year may be the year the year for them.

My tame blackberries have had blooms now for about a week or a little more and our wild ones have been just starting the bloom the past 3-4 days. When I see that and the forecast is showing temps in the 80's for a week or more that is when I try to get my corn and tomatoes planted. Usually works out Ok. We'll see.

TNhunter

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28240

It's cool to see all your gardening TN. I've tried and tried in my region to start early, and it always goes bad. I have to listen to the old timers around here, and never plant your garden until Memorial Day, or half of it will get bit by a late frost. Our forecast for tonight is 28 degrees.

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28243

Mortis...

It may just be old wives tales... but we almost always have a frost when red buds are blooming, then when dogwoods are blooming, then often again when black berries are blooming.

We call them winters... red bud winter, dogwood winter and blackberry winter.

It does not always frost when blackberries are blooming but there is almost always a cold spell.

In the county I live in our average annual last frost date is April 21.

You must be quite a bit more north than me.

Below is what my 10 day is looking like now. Nice Garden weather for sure !

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28248

I'm in northern PA, a little south of Lake Erie. When the wind blows across the lake it brings all the cold with it. My dad was out fishing 2 weekends ago in Lake Erie, about 5 miles out, and he said there are still car sized icebergs floating around in the water. I'm expecting to get cold spells off and on for the whole month of May.

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28275

Hit the creek again yesterday morning (Saturday) and brought home 7 nice black perch and 1 small mouth.

Had a really nice small mouth bass on the line (looked like a 3 pounder) but he got under a log on me, and I finally got him out from there and then he ran up the creek and jumped I bet 3 foot out of the water shaking that head and spit my lure out. Rats ! That is how it is with smallies.. they put up a real fight.

Last Saturday I planted corn and tomatoes and strawberries...

This morning (Sunday) and week and a day later got a few pics. I see those first tomatoes coming on.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Gone Fishing !!!! 9 years 10 months ago #28276

Got some blackberries starting to show..

These are tame (Illini blackberries) they taste very much like wild berries but are about 2x the size.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 413 guests and no members online

Login