2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: planting seng

planting seng 10 years 12 hours ago #28137

i live in southeast indiana, its not to late to plant , if i order the seed asap

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:planting seng 10 years 10 hours ago #28143

Welcome to the forum, sabsfuture!

It's pretty late in the year to plant, really. It's customary to plant in the fall, and maybe late winter, however those plantings are difficult for some. Results are mixed, some good and some bad.

Getting seed is another problem at this time of year. You might be able to find some, however getting stratified seed that is ready for planting in april might well be difficult. Most seed sellers are out of the stratified seed, and some may well have non-stratified seed, these will not come up this year , if you get any. Expect to pay a lot for it, if you can find it.

Remember that it's a woodland crop, requiring special conditions to grow. You can go on Amazon.com and look for Dr Persons book, do some reading... maybe that can assist you in your future plans.

Dr Person's book is called \"American Ginseng, Green Gold\"

Re:planting seng 10 years 6 hours ago #28147

I agree with Whit..

I would not plant this time of year.

Much better results if you plant in Sept, Oct, Nov timeframe.

It is also difficult to get good seed this time of year, if you can find seed at all.

Some reading, researching and getting your land ready... not to mention fishing and turkey hunting... would be much better ways to spend your spring days.

Best of luck when you do get started.

TNhunter

Re:planting seng 9 years 11 months ago #28159

A good general rule of thumb –plant annuals in the spring, perennials in the fall. Ginseng is a perennial

Re:planting seng 9 years 11 months ago #28195

Ginseng berries ripen and drop and plant themselves naturally in the fall, I've always planted my ginseng seeds in the fall. If it works for mother nature, it hopefully works for me.

Re:planting seng 9 years 11 months ago #28221

Although I plant most of my seed in the fall after one year of stratification, from time to time some seed gets held over one more winter in stratification, so doesn't get planted until spring. I've had success with both fall and spring planting. Although, spring planting is a bit more tedious, as many of the seeds tend to begin sprouting by the time it is warm enough to plant. Care must be taken to not damage the little roots coming out of the seeds.

Rather than risking purchase/planting of seed at this time, I'll suggest that you scout your planting areas and do whatever preparation you plan to do NOW. Then, come fall planting time, your efforts will be much easier!

If you already have your own seed in your stratification beds, go ahead and get it planted as quickly as possible!

Good luck!

Re:planting seng 9 years 11 months ago #28223

thx for the advise guys! I will concentrate on gettin my spots ready and getting seed ! oh yea! my wife and I have been findin some excellent morel patches , maybe a good year guys!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 171 guests and no members online

Login