* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drying and Dryers

Drying and Dryers 9 years 8 months ago #28848

Hey all,

Wondering if any of you would share information on drying. What temps and methods do you prefer.
Love to see some pics of your drying racks too.

Shenandoah

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Drying and Dryers 9 years 8 months ago #28851

Shenandoah...

I dry mine at room temp, spread out thin on window screens.

This is inside my home, low humidity, A/C, good air flow... (No sunlight or heat).

It takes around 5 weeks but it turns out real good and I am usually not in any big hurry to sell so I don't try to rush it.

If I was going to speed the process up I would use a elect forced air heater, but would not apply too much heat... 80 degrees or so.

TNhunter

Re:Drying and Dryers 9 years 8 months ago #28853

Thanks for the info. How often do you turn them? Most books/sites, say \"turn often to prevent fungus\". Well how often is \"often\"?
Thanks again!

Re:Drying and Dryers 9 years 8 months ago #28855

I never handle them once on the screens . the more u handle them the more chances to break them. I've never seen mold. But as long as there's not a lot of humidity u shouldn't have to worry. I use a fan to circulate the air around.

Re:Drying and Dryers 9 years 8 months ago #28856

If you put them on window screens and don't pile them up (just a single thin layer with a little space between roots) there is no need to turn them.

I take mine off the screens just prior to going to sell them and place them in brown paper bags. I keep some select roots for my own consumption and hang on to those for up to a year, eating some here and there. I still have 4 roots left from last years batch and they still look great. I put one in my blender on grind for a couple minutes and then put it in a little fancy glass that I keep on my home office desk and eat some just about every day.

I have never had any problems... but now good air flow and low humidity are very important.

If you were trying to dry them in a outbuilding that had a leaky roof or in a damp basement or anywhere that you had higher moisture levels - you could definitely have mold/fungal problems.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Drying and Dryers 9 years 8 months ago #28868

I use the same method. I have a 3 foot square wood frame with window screen. Lightly wash the dirt off the roots, then place them on the screen for drying inside the house, away from sunlight windows. If the weather outside is low humidity, I open the windows to help with airflow. If the weather is humid, I keep the windows shut, and turn on the ceiling fan. Once they are on the screen, I don't tough them again until I am ready to sell them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 961 guests and no members online

Login