2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fire

Fire 9 years 7 months ago #29134

Will ginseng withstand a controled burn or wildfire? I know a wildfire during a dry summer will get so hot it kills everything but im mostly wondering about controled burns in the fall and winter?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Fire 9 years 7 months ago #29136

Fast moving, cool burning fires during the dormant season should not hurt ginseng, since the next years bud is under ground.

Spring burns AFTER sprouting has started could be detrimental, though!

Re:Fire 9 years 7 months ago #29140

I can tell you from living in the Ozarks, and putting a lot of prescribed fire on the ground that a dormant season fire is the way to go.

However, if you have a situation where you have to put fire on the ground during the growing season start the fire at the top of the hill and burn down the slope. I recommend starting in the west and letting the fire burn down the hill toward the east. This mimics wild fire conditions in our area. Because ginseng is under the ground a backing fire should only kill the top, which will come back next year.

The fire will cause seeds laying dormant in the soil to sprout, with adequate sunlight, and provide lots of alternative foods for wildlife other than your precious ginseng plants.

Re:Fire 9 years 7 months ago #29153

some of the biggest and best ginseng ive ever dug was in old burn outs but if it burns too hot it can kill the root in the ground also any seeds in the leafs will be destroyed at the least

Re:Fire 9 years 7 months ago #29156

Welcome to this forum, Arky!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 208 guests and no members online

Login