2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reality show ?,s

Re:Reality show ?,s 9 years 6 months ago #30052

Did I place the word idiot on any one person? Not trying to be an a- hole. I could care less if their your friend to be completely honest,forums are made for opinions and I voiced mine. I guess the time spent out searching for seng and the monetary returns aren't enough for some anymore so they feel the need to sell out to the network television clowns. Im sorry if I've offended you but I will not button my lip when their actions and greed start to affect me and my family.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Reality show ?,s 9 years 6 months ago #30059

While it is possible that the recent attention to ginseng has been amplified by the television shows, the results will be the similar to the spate of gold mining wannabes, gator hunting wannabes, trucker wqmnabes, etc... can we blame BJ and the Bear for the run on truck driving schools in the 70s?..
Just because the focus is now on our sacred cow, is the attention somehow personal? It seems to me that the sudden rush to the woods will have a short term negative impact due to volume but as with any other fad most will lose interest quickly when they find that the ten pounds of poison ivy they spent all day digging has no monetary value. (It will have huge comedic value to the real diggers :laugh: )

In my opinion, the only long term problem will come when the bodies of the real idiots start coming in from the forests. Mark my words, when people who have no clue what they are doing hit the woods they will quickly learn that Bambi aint the only thing out there. This will send most packing right back to their comfy armchair throne, and a few to face the real Throne. The few that stick it out will either join the real woodsmen and assimilate to the culture or move on to the next fad.

As for poaching, it is already with us, has been all along. It will be no worse or better from the attention generated by the cameras.

I intend to sit back and enjoy both the \"reality\" television version and the three stooges version coming soon to a forest near me.

Good luck

Re:Reality show ?,s 9 years 6 months ago #30060

ginseng huntings hard work few people ever learn develop a knak for it that pays more than a part time hobby at best most newbe,s will be to covered in poison ivy and deerticks to ever go back most wont pay for their gas that being said i wish no ill will toward anyone willing to do things the right way after all someone taught each of us so help your fellow man learn to be a good steward and pass the sport we love on to the next generation

Re:Reality show ?,s 9 years 6 months ago #30131

My fear is that the exposure to this hobby to people who didn't even know that plants hold value will create a new 1800's gold rush mentality. You are right that the fad will pass, and most people will give up within 2-3 years. But during that 2-3 years, a lot of damage can be done. Not only to the ginseng patches, but to the state laws and government that will decide they need to step in. What's left after the fad is over will be all us diggers from pre-TV show era, left to clean up the mess and hope for the best.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Who's Online

We have 465 guests and no members online

Login