Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29965

Nope

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29966

How can you tell?

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29967

Virginia creeper. Ginseng grows on one stem.

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29968

JHM, look through a lot of the posts here in the forum, or even google for pictures of ginseng. You have to study it really hard until it is imprinted into your mind. Although your plant has 5 leaves with serrated edges, it is not close to what ginseng leaves look like. Ginseng has a single stem, which branches into 3 or 4 stems (prongs). At the end of each prong will be 5 leaves (3 big ones facing outward, 2 smaller leaves facing back towards the main stem). Ginseng stems are never red or pink colored. At the point where the main stem branches out into 3, there is also a very thin small shoot that comes upward, forming the crown, where the berry pod grows. The ginseng leaves have smaller serrations that what you picture shows, and they sort of form a widows peak at the tip. As for the root, it should be a creamy yellow color, with notable hairs coming off it at various locations, and a growth neck at the base of the stem.

It's hard to figure out on your own the first time, but you'll get it. The more you see it, the easier it is to identify it.

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29972

Thank you so much!

Very detailed description you gave me there.

I have a better idea and believe I found one today

Attachments:

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29973

This is defiantly the ginseng hunters worse nightmare it is called virginia creeper 110%

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29974

The best thing to do is have a really good picture with you when you go into the woods, ginseng grows from one singular stem and at the top of the ginseng plant you will find the berry stem (peduncle) it is the only plant in woods that has one and of course some will have the big red berries....when you find one, you will def. know as it is such a beautiful plant.....truly one of a kind, bring a good picture with you, glad i could help

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #29990

Lol sorry I couldn't help it. I showed my best buddy in HS how to find ginseng back in 1977. He called me a couple days later and said he found a huge patch and filled a pillow case with roots. I rushed to his house to find he dug over 15 lbs of Virginia creeper.
Never will forget how hard I was laughing and he was a good sport about it.
LAtt

Re:Is this Ginseng? Tough one 9 years 6 months ago #30014

I have uploaded a couple of pics that might help. There are mostly 3 pronged plants in the pic with a few smaller 2 prongs underneath some of the 3 prongs.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds

Who's Online

We have 434 guests and no members online

Login