2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Kind of Bugs are these?

What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #30972

I was going to re-locate a few plants and when I dug a few of the ones with dry berries I found the roots crawling with these so I left them where they were.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31039

Huh. Well what the heck kind of plants are they?
Attachments:

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31043

And these
Attachments:

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31046

And these
Attachments:

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31053

Yup...Jack-in-the-pulpit for certain.

Don't try to squeeze out the seeds from the berries with your bare hands either....they have acid crystals and will burn intensely for about 4 hours. ...and no...I won't tell you how I know. :S

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31057

Thxs for that bit of info on the JP bcastle. I won't throw them at my digging partner anymore lol:S

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31065

Nugget, dont worry about it, its not your fault you have fallen victim to a phenomanon known as the \"coffman effect\" its a condition that occurs when people are given mis-information from reality shows and nobody is held responsible.
I would suspect those to be \"Rufus Beetles\"

Provided is a link below where LeeBros correctly predicted this event.
follow the link down to post #27100

http://www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Forum/General-Ginseng-Questions-Answers/26928-Watched-American-Outlaw-Your-thoughts/Page-3.html#27100

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31066

K_duce wrote:

Nugget, dont worry about it, its not your fault you have fallen victim to a phenomanon known as the \"coffman effect\" its a condition that occurs when people are given mis-information from reality shows and nobody is held responsible.
I would suspect those to be \"Rufus Beetles\"

Provided is a link below where LeeBros correctly predicted this event.
follow the link down to post #27100

http://www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Forum/General-Ginseng-Questions-Answers/26928-Watched-American-Outlaw-Your-thoughts/Page-3.html#27100

Now that's funny right there!!!

Nugget, I believe those are woolly apple aphids.

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31087

Lol well my dumb luck.

Re:What Kind of Bugs are these? 9 years 7 months ago #31089

Well the joke may be on me but I had a great time exploring my property. I got to learn a lot about ginseng and growing it, and its uses. I learned I have a nice piece of NW facing property if I did want to grow it, Which I had thought about doing anyway. I learned a lot about other native plants especially Jack-in-the-pulpit lol, and I think I found some wild ginger (probably Poison Ivy ). And I learned to what lengths unethical poachers will go to.

My reward for all of this is the knowledge I gained. But I also feel all warm and fuzzy thinking about the guy that risked his life and freedom to steal some jack in the pulpit driving 2 hours for nothing. I found 10 of his dig holes yesterday.
I'm going to stick around and learn so I can plant one day. I love growing things as a hobby so if I can grow something and make a few bucks off it all the better.

I agree that the show's are going to bring an unwanted, uneducated element to your hobby. They aren't going to care about digging 2 and 3 year olds or breaking the law and infringing upon your rights. I wish you growers and ethical diggers a great season and a bountiful harvest. And if I hear of some poachers catching some bird shot from some unknown direction I'll have a chuckle.

Good Luck and Stay Safe
-Nugget

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 536 guests and no members online

Login