2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what's the name of this companion plant ?

what's the name of this companion plant ? 9 years 7 months ago #31196

I should know the answer to this after all the years I've hunted sang but always thought it might be a young black cohosh plant but looking more closely at it the other day I see the differences in the two plants. I consider it a companion plant myself, it gets those little long seeds on it that like my sweat pants !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:what's the name of this companion plant ? 9 years 7 months ago #31199

Looks like Sweet Cicely. Osmorhiza claytonii. There is another similar species called Aniseroot. I have never seen Aniseroot however.

The roots are tasty and edible. This is the only wild plant in the Carrot family that I have eaten. Usually Carrot family plants are to be avoided because they might be some sort of poison hemlock and thus could kill you in a half hour if you took a bite.

The long seeds supposedly attach themselves to passing bears and get carried to new habitats.

Re:what's the name of this companion plant ? 9 years 7 months ago #31321

Archon wrote:

Looks like Sweet Cicely. Osmorhiza claytonii. There is another similar species called Aniseroot. I have never seen Aniseroot however.

The roots are tasty and edible. This is the only wild plant in the Carrot family that I have eaten. Usually Carrot family plants are to be avoided because they might be some sort of poison hemlock and thus could kill you in a half hour if you took a bite.

The long seeds supposedly attach themselves to passing bears and get carried to new habitats.

thanks a lot Archon, that looks like it !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 466 guests and no members online

Login