2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drying Ginseng

Drying Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31197

I am new into the ginseng hunting I love being outdoors and have gone the last 2 weekends and plan to keep going. The reason I am posting is to ask a question about drying ginseng. I recently read an article and it stated to wash lightly, let dry on paper towels then once completely surface dries, to place in the fridge for a couple of weeks. This is suppose to balance the curing/drying and causes the sugars to be better. Now I just want to make sure before I ruin what I have dug so far. Any input will be much appreciateed.

God bless,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Drying Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31198

I forgot to mention that after you leave in the fridge for 2 weeks then place in a dry place and continue to dry naturally for another 2 weeks or more.

Re:Drying Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31245

What you are referring to is called conditioning. The commercial growers learned that they can decrease the time in dryer and increase the quality of the roots by cooling them for a up to a month before drying. This changes the starches to sugars as the root senesces for the year because of the consistently very cool temps. Also, with good, dry air circulation ginseng will lose up to 25% of its weight in around 30 days.

Generally, this will result in higher quality corky (less dense) roots.

Re:Drying Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31266

Thanks for your input castle because I definitely don't want to ruin Them. So do you think that if I leave it in the fridge for 2 weeks then dry on the screens for another 2 or 3 weeks would be good? I don't want to be a nuisance to you guys here just looking for some help so I don't screw up. This is addictive, I wish I could be out there right now but have to work going back out Thursday after work, and going to hit it again Saturday all day.

Re:Drying Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31267

Thanks for your input castle because I definitely don't want to ruin Them. So do you think that if I leave it in the fridge for 2 weeks then dry on the screens for another 2 or 3 weeks would be good? I don't want to be a nuisance to you guys here just looking for some help so I don't screw up. This is addictive, I wish I could be out there right now but have to work going back out Thursday after work, and going to hit it again Saturday all day.

Re:Drying Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31269

No worries.

The drying time all depends on the size and character of the root. Some smaller roots might be dry in two weeks...others might take a month or more.

As you are drying them, they seem to go through stages. First, they begin to soften just a little when you squeeze them lightly. Then they soften a lot. Next, they start to get firm. Finally they get very hard and you can't dent them with a finger/thumb. At that point, give them about another few days and you should be good.

Re:Drying Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31270

thanks Castle much appreciated

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 618 guests and no members online

Login