2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need advice

need advice 9 years 7 months ago #31625

Hello all you sangers- I just found this website the other day and I think it is the best one on the web. While reading thru the posts I have learned a lot and everyone seems very knowledgeable about what they are doing. But I need advice. I found a very secure piece of property and found over 70 plants ranging from four prongers down to two year old plants. I planted over 60 seeds and started several little gardens. I know that sang has been there for 32 years and I feel that they are thriving at this location. I want to leave it alone and keep planting seeds and let it age. I want to start a huge renewable source of gensing that I can harvest every year. I guess the land is about three acres. Is this too small of a plot? :) :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:need advice 9 years 7 months ago #31629

You can grow a LOT of ginseng on three acres, as long as it is suitable for it.

Re:need advice 9 years 7 months ago #31649

Thanks lenno, I thought I had a decent size lot to start. I wish I could start harvesting now but I'm going to sit on it for a while and let the stuff age and the prices climb.

Re:need advice 9 years 7 months ago #31652

I would plant wild simulated, wait a couple years and go back in with my seeder and plant again more sparsely. Then, at about year 6, you will start seeing baby ginseng you did not plant. If you only harvest the largest, mature plants about 10 years old or older, you will have a naturally reproducing patch by the time your first dig is ready.

Re:need advice 9 years 7 months ago #31659

I just bought 2 chunks of property recently, each is 15 acres. I hope to begin doing the same thing on my lots.

Re:need advice 9 years 7 months ago #31677

Hum, interesting two bear.

This is a hell of a long post but worth the read to all new seng growers using wild seed or purchased seed.

Sounds like you have 3 acres that has some mature ginseng in it already. This is a good thing indicating the conditions must be decent already for soil, canopy etc. I agree with Frank and others. 3 acres is plenty of space.

So having 70 plants ranging from 4 prongs to baby 2 year old's tells a story. It's kind of like a spot I have been stewarding for 10 plus years. Wheres the young 3 prongs?????? You have old plants and very young plants with very little plants in the middle age range and there is a reason this occurs. More to follow.

I have a spot just like that. It has 200 4 prongs in it with very few little young ones or any 3 prongs at all. The old 4 prong plants are isolated to one area in a woods that looks the same throughout. The mother plant which I found was knee high or more and the root was transplanted. It was well over 60 years old. It most likely produced seed that grew into some of the other plants over the years in an area only 100 feet by 100 feet approximately.

There is another spot a 1/2 acre away that has 30 4 prongs in it. However, nowhere else in the ENTIRE 24 acre woods is there any seng other than these two spots.

Either someone planted it many many years ago and this is whats left. Or it all stems from seed dispersed from the mother plant that was left behind back in the day and these are the sole survivors.

The question is why isn't there more wild on your land. I ask myself the same question about my spot. I mean if someone was actively digging it, they wouldn't have left that many plants behind.

In my opinion your presumed wild plants are like my presumed wild plants. They are what's left behind from way back in the day from either someone that left them behind or they are SLOWLY reseeding themselves and were the lucky few not to get ate.

Either way it just PROVES the fact that ginseng is slow to grow. If no one has dug your plants or my plants for the last 50 years we should have many many more plants in these woods than we do. We know no one is digging in there or the plants we have wouldn't be in there still.

Whats happening is a few survive from seed each year and I mean very few. All of the other seed is eaten by something as well as young plants being eaten by something such as Deer, Voles, Mice, Slugs, Snails, Turkey etc.

The seeds you plant whether from the native plants in there or seed you buy will have an uphill battle unless you can control the environment.

I wish you the best. I am looking for 5 to 10 acres to plant on where I can control the environment. I will not plant another seed until I do. Been there and done that already and not many of the 350,000 seeds that I planted and that germinate well and came up are left there now after 5 years.

Not trying to discourage anyone from planting seed. Just know what you are getting into before you do. Control the environment and you will have a boatload of ginseng to show for your efforts. Plant wild simulated style and leave it up to mother nature and you will be left with 5% if you are lucky.

So if you do plant wild simulated style the further you space your seed out the better. Make it a little more difficult for the Deer, Voles, Mice, Slugs, Snails, Turkey etc.to find your ginseng. Growing wild simulated in a patch is like serving it up on a silver platter for everything in the woods to eat. Trust me on this folks. I know first hand.

Not giving up by any means. It just took me 5 years to find out what it's going to take to do it right. It's not hard to grow ginseng at all with some knowledge, experience, effort and the correct conditions. Keeping it is a totally different story.

Latt

Re:need advice 9 years 7 months ago #31736

Thanks Latt and to everyone else who offered advice. The property I have has two old homesites on them and I believe the old timers who lived there must have started them years ago. The property is a steep ridge and the older plants(3 and 5 prongers) are on the bottom of the ridge and have dropped seeds and seeded the whole valley. The tops and middle of the ridge have slightly younger plants. I have taken the seeds I have found and started replanting in areas around where they were found and started other areas in small gardens or patches that I can try to control. I believe you are right about mice, voles, turkey and deer since they are everywhere here in these woods. I know how hard it is too keep these animals out of a controled garden, but maybe a small rabbit wire fence will keep some of the turkey and deer out. The canopy and soil does seem perfect here and the slope is facing north by northeast which seems perfect also. I really appreciate your advice since you seem to have gone thru this already. I know that noone has harvested or found any of the gensing and it is private property with a great buffer of other private land surrounding it. I think if I can keep the critters out of it I can have relative success in a few years. I might have to bust a deer or two this fall and winter to try and keep them out but that is easier said than done.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 251 guests and no members online

Login