2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ok here's an observation from an Newbie

Ok here's an observation from an Newbie 9 years 6 months ago #31801

Hello again guys, I just wanted to share an observation from a guy that has very little experience ginseng hunting. In my limited number of trips so far this year I have noticed that all of the ginseng that I am finding is coming from around 1,200' down to about 1,000' in elevation. I have yet to find any down low in the hollows. I thought that I would have found some down low where it is a lot cooler and damp and less sunlight. What is are your thoughts on this. Again all comments are appreciated and valued. Be safe out there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ok here's an observation from an Newbie 9 years 6 months ago #31809

Thanks Frank I appreciate your sharing this insight.

Re:Ok here's an observation from an Newbie 9 years 6 months ago #31829

Something else to consider is air flow. If the hollow is deep and damp enough the air may be to dense to allow air currents to move well through the undergrowth . This can create an environment where it can be too damp and warm causing bacteria and fungi to mess up the soil and possibly even cause disease in the entire population of ginseng plants.

Good luck

Re:Ok here's an observation from an Newbie 9 years 6 months ago #31839

In my experience ginseng prefers well drained soil. In the moist areas, the plants there could die off sooner, or not grow at all. I would tell you to look for companion plants. Look for blood root, golden seal, snake root, baneberry, ginger, maiden hair fern, blue cohosh. There are others as well, but typically if I find 3 or more of these plants in an area, ginseng could grow there as the soil and shade are right for ginseng to grow as well. Good luck.

Re:Ok here's an observation from an Newbie 9 years 6 months ago #31854

ManRoot, I wonder why you said blue cohosh, don't you have black in your area ? My way of thinking black is better then the blue :-)

ManRoot wrote:

In my experience ginseng prefers well drained soil. In the moist areas, the plants there could die off sooner, or not grow at all. I would tell you to look for companion plants. Look for blood root, golden seal, snake root, baneberry, ginger, maiden hair fern, blue cohosh. There are others as well, but typically if I find 3 or more of these plants in an area, ginseng could grow there as the soil and shade are right for ginseng to grow as well. Good luck.

Re:Ok here's an observation from an Newbie 9 years 6 months ago #31857

westernPaBilly,

I've never seen any black cohosh up here, as far as I know it's not native to Minnesota. Goldenseal isn't a great pointer here either as there is very little left and it's been on the endangered species list in MN since 1984. But on the rare occasion i've found seal, there's also been seng in those woods.

westernPaBilly wrote:

ManRoot, I wonder why you said blue cohosh, don't you have black in your area ? My way of thinking black is better then the blue :-)

ManRoot wrote:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 611 guests and no members online

Login