2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spring planting

Spring planting 14 years 3 weeks ago #3342

Anyone out doing any spring planting yet? We still have 2-3 foot of snow here so it might be awhile for this area. I was just wondering if any others were out and about.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Spring planting 14 years 3 weeks ago #3343

Hi, Drider,just picked up 2lbs.starting to sprout.Snows finally gone enough here in sw va to plant.Thanks for all your help in the past and looking forward to another great season walking the woods.Good luck this season stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re:Spring planting 14 years 3 weeks ago #3344

I just finnished up planting about 6lbs last weekend here in East TN. And yes, they were starting to spout a little. Cant wait to check on them here in a couple of months!!

Re:Spring planting 14 years 2 weeks ago #3351

• SimonXu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
i don't know the weather in your place but for my exprience, we will plant genseng in MAY every year(Northeast China). The growing period of genseng is only 130-150days, other time it will go to sleep:).cold climate is best. the best nature temp. must be at 15^20, and yearly precipitation should be 500^2,000mm, so it's best to plant genseng in lat. 40-50 degree.

Re:Spring planting 14 years 1 week ago #3357

I got seriously delayed in my spring planting!

I purchased 4# of seed and hit three snags along the way, to get in and get the seeds in the ground. In the meantime, they started to sprout in the bags. Not good!

Finally, the other day, my dad and I got to our spot. My idea was to poke a hole in the dirt and put a seed in. I figured at one seed per second, it would take 8.3 hours. I saw right off the bat, that I would be lucky to see one seed per 20 seconds. Clearly, this was not going to work. At least, not this late in the season!

I decided to have Dad rake back rows 24\" wide while I scattered seed in the areas. He then raked over them. I know this is more of a Fall technique, especially since 33% of the seed had sprouted, but at this point, we had no choice. We got 15,000 seeds in the ground, and I have another 15,000 more.

We now know what to do next season, and we will be way ahead of the game, but at least I feel I saved this year's seed lot; even if they are too close together, I can dig the roots and replant in the Fall.

Feedback welcome, if anyone thinks I forked up.

Re:Spring planting 14 years 1 week ago #3365

dawn i really haven't done any spring planting other than rootlets. I do all of mine in the fall. But i have heard good and bad tales on spring planting. And most people prefer the fall. They are a lot less problems when u plant in the fall. According to what i have read. This fall try some planting. Anyways let us all know how the seeds done and good luck.

Re:Spring planting 14 years 1 week ago #3366

Yeah, I didn't have a choice this first time; I didn't want to lose a whole year so I took a chance. I had to buy them in the Spring. This year I will plant in the Fall; scatter before the leaves drop. I'd like to put 50# down if I can.

I would think that planting now would be better, as there is less chance of seeds being eaten by moles, voles, turkeys, etc. wouldn't you think? It seems that most seed is shipped out in March.

Re:Spring planting 14 years 1 week ago #3367

Wow!! 50#............that is alot of seed, and alot of work!!!

Re:Spring planting 14 years 1 week ago #3368

Yeah, I'm figuring that's around 400,000 seeds, right?

I know it'll be back breaking to get going, but the returns will be worth it. I think I can handle around 500,000 seeds, areawise, in the spots where it used to grow wild.

I'll have to do a lot of commercials to afford the seed though!

Re:Spring planting 14 years 5 days ago #3386

• nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So I just heard about ginseng as a potential cash crop from my neighbor in the driveway this morning, so I am pretty new to this (despite having read almost this entire website... good starting place!).

I live in MN and have ~80 acres of wooded land around mid-state. I am very interested in starting to plant some ginseng and to keep doing so every year.

My question is about the pros and cons of spring planting. I would like to get some going ASAP and would also probably get some more going this fall. What are the issues with spring planting and should I just wait until fall to get going?

Thanks!
-nick

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 433 guests and no members online

Login