2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New to forum, need advice

New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34242

I live in California and I have come across some Ginseng that is 75 to 100 years old. I have a few questions and I hope someone can help.
1. Is it legal to harvest Ginseng in California ?
2. When is the best time to harvest ?
3. How hard it is to find a dealer ?
4. best way to dry and store Ginseng ?
. The plants that are on private property and they are about 8 feet tall. It's owned by my best friend, We dug up a root last year that was the size of a football. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Steel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34243

Steel,
That is a pretty incredible find. I believe you would have to provide pictures for anyone to take that question seriously. I'm not sure that you could legally dig and sell ginseng in California.

Hugh

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34244

I don't know how to post pictures but the land has been in the family for over 100 years. My grandfather told me it was there 75 years ago. I will fins someone to post pictures. The plants are over 6 feet tall. We dug up a root last year that was the size of a football when wet. When we dug it up we didn't know for sure what it was until we talked to the family. So for now we left the site alone. I can't find any rules on this stuff for California. I went to our local Ag office and they didn't know anything. I called the State and they told me to contact fish and game. So I am waiting for them to call me back. I hope someone can help me find the rules and reg's for California. Any info would be helpful and I will fins someone to post pictures to help you believe what I am talking about. Thanks

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34245

Hugh, I have pictures on my cell phone I can send you if you give me your number. Thanks need to do this legally so I am trying to find the info I need.

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34246

Steel,
I also did a quick look and I did not see any regulations about ginseng. It is not a native plant to California so the regulations may fall under guide lines that have to do with taking plants out of state to sell. That is where it gets really tricky. California's Game&Fish should have some answers.
I have an email address that you can send the picture to if you have that capability. If you can do that, I'll place the picture on the board and you can get some credible answers. Let me know if you can do that and I'll give you the email addy.

Hugh

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34247

OH boy this is going to be good. I hope it's all true. Would love to see an 8 foot tall seng plant and a football size root.
Latt

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34248

Can you please post your address so I can show you this is true. Still no answers from anyone around here.

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34249

Steel, I've been out of the house for a few minutes. Try this.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Hugh

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34252

can't figure it out can you send me your cell number so I can send it to your phone ?

Re:New to forum, need advice 9 years 1 month ago #34253

Steel,
We don't have a smart phone and my wife doesn't know how to download anything from the one we have. Maybe one of the other guys can step up.

Hugh

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 588 guests and no members online

Login