Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Forest fire

Forest fire 14 years 2 weeks ago #3431

• Kathy
  • Kathy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We had a forest fire on March 8th, I live in Northwest GA and was wondering what the survivial rate for ginsng is. All the undergrowth was burned and lots of our large hardwoods (mostly hickory)were charred up the trunks several feet. I planted the seeds in 2009 and was wondering if they would survive or do I need to replant. I know fire puts potash back into the soil, but how does that affect ginseng. I appreciate any input. thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Forest fire 13 years 9 months ago #4069

Well established ginseng plants will make it through a forest fire generally. Our local district of National Forest has been doing controlled burns over the last few years, and when you go out there in the spring it seems like the ginseng is up earlier, and doing fine. Sorry to say that your 1 year old seedlings might not have faired so well, it's likely that the root, and terminal bud were not far enough under the soil yet to be insulated from the fire. Have you seen anything pop up over the spring?

Re:Forest fire 13 years 9 months ago #4097

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Im not sure but I do not think they would make it that young but since replanting time is later go and chesk them to see if they are up.

Re:Forest fire 13 years 9 months ago #4168

Kathy, have you been in the woods to see as to whether they survived yet? I am thinking you may have lost some but, some may have made it if the heat didn't penetrate too deep.Please let us know what you find/ found.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 158 guests and no members online

Login